- Art plays a crucial role in preserving the culture and heritage of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. For many of the artists, however, an inner conflict exists over the…Expressive movement is a prominent and growing phenomenon in Asheville. While dance church is one of the largest regular gatherings, there is at least one expressive movement event every day…The performance will include other regional artists like The American Gonzos and Rookie of the Year. It takes place at Black Bear Coffee Co. in Hendersonville on Friday, Dec. 23.Released on Dec. 1, the digital-only Code Red is curated by Asheville musician Dave Harris (formerly the owner of Smashing Guitars) and features six local artists among the 40 musicians…The band will perform a Home Alone-themed show at The Mothlight on Friday, Dec. 23.White Horse Black Mountain hosts the holiday show on Friday, Dec. 23Buxton Hall Barbecue caters the celebratory event on Thursday, Dec. 22.The Dirty Soul Revival, White Soul, The Log Noggins, The Company Stores, Up Dog, Colby Deitz, Andalyn and Rachel Alleman are all scheduled to perform at a benefit concert for…The Downtown Holiday Windows Contest, held by the Asheville Downtown Association, features an annual theme: this year’s is “Light up the holidays.”
- Mixologists from Zambra and En La Calle offer easy, festive cocktail recipes that harness the flavors of pumpkin and local apples, plus a dash of sugar and spice.At Asheville's Hanukkah celebrations, potato pancakes, doughnuts and other fried foods symbolize the ancient miracle of the oil that lasted eight days in the Temple of Jerusalem.A new wood-smoked barbecue joint opens in Candler, Strada Italiano celebrates the holiday season with the Feast of Seven Fishes, Bone and Broth expands its menu and hours and A-B…Appalachian Vintner's annual holiday auction supports local children's organizations.
- A variety of local spiritual leaders and practitioners, from a rabbi to a Buddhist monk, weigh in on the existence of past lives and explore the possibility that recalling them…
- "You have to take time to look at yourself, look at your spirit and where you come from, and let the spirit guide your interests and love.”AshevilleWhere do people turn when faith runs dry and they start to question what they believe? A number of Asheville-based faith leaders say those who experience doubt aren’t alone, and…“You could say I was hungry for the truth without even realizing I was searching for it,” says Western North Carolina native Joseph (Yusuf) Gantt, “and that led to a…
- "The bigger picture that is starting to emerge, however, reflects where we are as humans in regard to how we treat others, how we treat ourselves and how we treat…"Progressives work for policies that will create prosperity for the country and help everyone to benefit from it. I don’t see how this can be considered 'godless' or 'atheistic.' ""I have got to point out to the folks who called for "biblical values" on Election Day that the Bible doesn't much like elections in the first place."'Hope. In the end, that’s George Bailey’s true gift to Bedford Falls — and the gift that Asheville’s churches bestow upon our own community. In this time of difficulty and…Asheville"The most significant change in the course, though, was shifting our approach to the study of religion from 'difference' to 'diversity.' Instead of 'othering' the religions we studied, diversity allowed…