- Southern Crescent will also benefit from a new tact on the business side of things. The LP is being released via LoHi Records, a new label out of Greensboro, backed…Saintseneca and Emily Easterly open for the band's next frenzied pop show at The Grey Eagle on Tuesday, April 5.The composer, his laptop armed with Ableton Live music software and flanked by gadgets including synths and a modified tape recorder, will team up with Kiah Abendroth (trumpet/loop pedal) and…Solivan will combine his bluegrass with menu selections from his upcoming cook book when he and his band Dirty Kitchen play at Isis Music Hall & Restaurant on Thursday, March…An international advocate for peace and positivity after experiencing the opposite alongside the Tuareg community, Bombino brings his warm and effortlessly intricate guitar playing to The Orange Peel on Sunday,…The numerous exhibits and activities scattered over four days are all a piece of the dialog, though organizer Eric Baden says it will be worthwhile to participate in any or…Watch a local musician Jonathan Scales' dreams come true as two of his musical idols recite a full set of his original music at The Altamont Theatre on Friday, April…Bobby FKN White plays a release show for his new full-length album along with DLX, ManuKaru, DJ Coach K, Brutha Wulf and host ECO at The One Stop on Thursday,…The mission of Black Mountain School is to revamp higher education for artists — or at least provide an alternative to expensive, traditional programs. THE BLOCK Off Biltmore hosts a…
- Expanded capacity at the Asheville Alcoholic Beverage Control Board’s warehouse could mean local bartenders and restaurateurs will see increased availability of and dependable access to some hard-to-acquire spirits.Celtic Sea Salt is seeking recipes that showcase the company's various product lines for a highly seasoned cookbook; MG Road hosts chef Nohe Weir-Villatoro for a Morrissey-themed vegetarian dinner; Dobra…A flotilla of food trucks will converge on the Masonic Temple downtown on Saturday, April 2, for the third annual Asheville Food Truck Showdown. This year promises the largest contest yet,…Partnering with the Foothills Conservancy and Lake James State Park, Fonta Flora has bought historic farmland near Nebo with plans to become Western North Carolina's first true farmhouse brewery.
- The third annual LGBT in the South Conference, held March 18-20, tackled a variety of health issues, including HIV, conversion therapy, and transgender health care.Whether you are an experienced or first-time gardener, the fifth annual “Get Growing” gardening series — offered by the Organic Growers School, Fifth Season Asheville Market and the Dr. John…
- North Asheville Library hosts David Bowie film series, registration nears for the 48 Hour Film Project and a Brevard-based filmmaker wins an Emmy.
- Despite their great variety, every one of the 71 national park units local author Danny Bernstein visited for her new book, Forests, Alligators, Battlefields: My Journey through the National Parks…Driven by concerns about rapid development and increasing traffic congestion, South Asheville residents are working to make their voices heard in city and county government. One prospective apartment complex at…A recent Forbes magazine article asked whether Asheville could be “an emerging Silicon Valley.” And while some locals might wonder where the jobs that one might expect to come with…What if you could bike or walk all the way from Asheville's Hominy Creek Greenway to the Bent Creek Experimental Forest? The Buncombe County Parks and Recreation department is studying…
- "Other U.S. cities are removing Confederate symbology and monuments. Let’s not waste any more time — Asheville needs to join them, now.""I would really appreciate it if you would send me a state map and some postcards, information or souvenirs on your wonderful state.""Much better to retain some curiosity and openness to the possibility that the world has a few surprises left in store for us.""The blackout on Tourist games seems to reflect a discriminating and fact-centric bias whose baleful influence threatens the entire pluralistic ethos of alternative publications such as this one."