- Asheville was recently listed by Top Value Reviews as No. 9 on its list of “30 Great Small Towns for Theater Lovers.” The online site singled out the strength of…Andrew Trube and Anthony Farrell have performed together for a decade and a half. They call themselves a “junkyard band,” but what the duo (sometimes a trio with versatile drummer…The recently formed supergroup performs at The Orange Peel on Wednesday, May 11.An encapsulated sense of happiness — an open invitation to the party — is at the heart of a Honeydrops show. Following an enthusiastic reception at LEAF last fall, the…A local group of musicians has focused on the nexus where music and technology intersect, creating the Asheville Electro Music Festival to showcase local and international music. The event takes…The free art crawl's spring 2016 iteration runs Saturday-Sunday, May 7-8.Juan de Marcos and the leaders of MarchFourth! and Clan Destiny Circus discuss Cuban music and improving relations between the island nation and the U.S.Appalachian Barn Alliance hosts Barn Month 2016, a series of events surrounding the third annual Barn Day on Saturday, May 21. The festivities kick off on Friday, May 5, with…Catch the trio of teen sibling during their EP release show at Asheville Music Hall on Friday, May 6.As part of Children's Book Week at Malaprop's Bookstore and Café, Fischer will read her entire new work, which is filled with friendly and vibrant illustrations by Laura Wood, on…During an upcoming fundraiser, Wild South will celebrate its own conservation work in addition to awarding the efforts of activists across eight states. Headlining the evening is DeLene Beeland, a…
- Congregation Beth Israel's 11th annual food and culture event honors the Jewish state's independence.Buffalo Nickel expects a run on mint juleps at its second Derby Party; Post 70 hosts its own Derby Day Cookout; Luella's Bar-B-Que opens a second location in South Asheville;…After years of anticipation, New Belgium Brewing welcomed the public to its Asheville taproom on Monday, May 2.
- Out-of-towners who flock to Asheville for mountain views, world-class dining and a taste of Appalachian culture probably don’t often make a point of including a drive to northwest Buncombe County on their…
- “Let me tell the story, I can tell it all About the mountain boy who ran illegal alcohol His daddy made the whiskey, son, he drove the load When his…North Asheville Library screens Elvis musicals, Asheville School of Film offers Film History and Appreciation seminars and registration opens for FierceFlix summer film camp.
- Data provided by N.C. Center for Nonprofits- includes quantity and revenue limited to organizations other than churches with annual gross revenues of $50,000 or greater, for fiscal year 2013. Employment…A great gray army is at work throughout Buncombe County: retired people donating their time to groups of every stripe. This unpaid workforce brings with it a wide variety of…Earlier this month, survey company WalletHub marked Asheville as one of the “Fattest Cities” in the country. Asheville ranked No. 43 among the 100 most populated U.S. metro areas for…Nonprofit leaders assume many roles in order to keep their organizations afloat and their mission alive. For most Western North Carolina's nonprofit leaders it's a labor of love that has…
- "Sure enough, thanks to a regional dance competition at the Civic Center, we had to pay $5 for parking in order to attend a free concert at Pack Library.""As residents of Asheville, let’s be proud of our city and stop acting like cigarette butts and chewing gum are not litter — they are!"'There is an old proverb that goes, 'Many hands make light work'; we can do that for our community.'"Now the housing market is really booming and — surprise! — they want to do another reassessment.""I believe he well deserves our respect and the monument that stands in his honor!""It seems a slap in the face to so blatantly exclude protection on the basis of sexual orientation/gender identity.""Asheville should no longer tolerate our historic trees being mowed down like summer weeds.""Women Build is a win-win situation: Women gain experience and confidence working on a project alongside other female volunteers, and a family gets the rare opportunity to purchase a safe,…"While we will continue to keep our headquarters here in Asheville, a city dear to us, we will move our U.S. operations to Colorado with its more progressive policies."