- Xpress is giving away a pair of tickets to this show. To win, find this post on our Facebook page and follow the instructions. If the producer tends to be…Power, or “Amandla,” exists in “every fiber of the living experience,” according to Claude Coleman Jr. (formerly of Ween), who christened his band with the Zulu word. In live format,…Local author Michelle Baker writes poems that sometimes reach 15 or 20 pages in length. But when one hit the 40-page mark, “I thought, ‘This isn’t going to stop anytime…When Fiona Ritchie (the presenter of NPR’s long-running program, “The Thistle and the Shamrock”) first came to North Carolina, “people heard my accent and they’d say, ‘Oh, I’m Scots-Irish,’” she…Were it not for a roving pack of wild Mexican dogs terrorizing the cats, chickens and goats outside Waynesville, one of Asheville’s premier sketch comedy troupes would have been called…Jug-Baby: An Autobiography follows the plight of a youth whose parents inadvertently strip their baby of gender and identity after attempting to mold the child into a circus attraction that…Balsam Range “thoughtfully and respectfully adopted the name of a majestic range of mountains” near the band’s hometown in Haywood County, but the bluegrass ensemble’s reverence for Western North Carolina…The performer, best-known as a correspondent and writer for “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,” unveils a brand-new stand-up act at The Millroom on Friday, Nov. 14.For 41 years, photographer Rob Amberg has kept an acute documentary eye on Madison County. With his camera, he’s created an insightful, ongoing narrative that’s familiar yet analytical of every…
- Asheville Independent Restaurants readies for Taste of Asheville, WNC Health Advocates hosts a fundraising dinner, King Daddy's adds breakfast, Loretta's goes late-night and Black Mountain Ciderworks throws a Rabelaisian Feast.You never know when winter will hit in Asheville. This year, with early November snow, it seems the upcoming release of Cold Mountain from Highland Brewery is right on time.…
- Nutrition experts from across the country are gathering in Asheville Friday-Sunday, Nov. 14-16. One of the reasons the conference is being held in Asheville is that our local restaurants are…The Masonic Temple will host the North Carolina premiere screening of two films by director Khashyar Darvich: Dalai Lama Awakening and Compassion in Action.
- As the sun dipped behind a mountain ridge on Sunday, Nov. 2, the Asheville Friends Meeting House began to fill with people, with conversation and with the smell of roasted…North Carolina voters did more than move representatives around Nov. 4: They voted on an amendment to the state constitution that could possibly have major repercussions for criminal justice procedure.…Despite rightward-streaming state and federal political currents, Buncombe County stood out on election night as a small sea of Democratic blue. In several important local races, Democratic candidates toppled Republican…Buncombe County Democrats had a big night, winning several key local races by razor thin margins. (Photo by Pat Barcas)
- Newly elected 2nd-grade class senator clearly can't deliver on campaign promisesAs author of the letter “Asheville Becoming an Elitist City,” [Oct. 15, Xpress], I was surprised at the many reactions it elicited. This letter is in response to the majority…I was disturbed by a couple of things published in your “Asheville’s Food Pioneers” coverage in the Oct. 22 issue of Xpress. You give very nice publicity to Blue Ridge Food…