- Amber and Joshua Niven discuss working together on their new book, “Discovering the Appalachian Trail: A Guide to the Trail's Greatest Hikes.""This Skin I'm In: A Visual Narrative" runs through Aug. 29 at Revolve gallery.Story Parlor residency debuts with multidisciplinary immersive show. Plus, local sculptor's work is focus of new show, Slavic folk concert raises money for Ukraine, and Swannanoa Valley Museum & History…
- Cochon555's national Heritage Fire tour lands in Asheville on Sunday, July 17.
- Safelight, a Hendersonville nonprofit that supports survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse, held a ribbon-cutting ceremony for its new facility June 29.The land, purchased by Conserving Carolina, falls roughly halfway between the current Island Ford and Hap Simpson Park access points, which are separated by nearly 10 miles of river. Morrow…
- Growing up in Asheville nurtured Elizabeth Colton’s desire to travel. And she has Warren Wilson College, in part, to thank for it. Throughout her youth, Colton’s parents invited international students…“The thinking used to be, you put some architects on there. And you'd want to have a real estate investor, or a developer, or someone who's a real estate agent,…Response times rose from an average of 8.2 minutes for the highest-priority calls in the 12 months before the shift — which had the Asheville Police Department no longer send…“Pools are one of those places where everybody gathers and are really an essential hub of the community,” says Parks and Recreation Program and Operations Manager Wayne Simmons. “And so…Nothing sparks an online debate among Asheville-based social media groups faster than a question concerning the cleanliness of the French Broad River.Taking place Sunday, July 17, 2 p.m. at Salvage Station, the inaugural Big Secret Family Festival features The Secret Agency with Secret Agent 23 Skidoo, Empire Strikes Brass, Snake Oil…Dual enrollment of students earning both high school and college credit currently accounts for about 2,500 A-B Tech students, or roughly 30% of the school’s overall enrollment, making it one…
- "Local nonviolent demonstrators consciously act to bring out the best in people while attempting to educate and expose inequality and injustice.""But the solution to our overlapping affordability and climate crises can’t be to try to freeze our city in time, to shut our borders or to blame anyone who hasn’t…"The 'chaplain' comes from a Methodist church that came up with this title and program. Why limit this program to Methodists?""Like any competent health care provider, [advanced practice providers] recognize their limitations and either consult a physician when the problem is beyond their skill set or transfer the patient to…"He heaps venomous scorn, most of it unfair and baseless, on an organization staffed exclusively by conscientious volunteers who selflessly devote their time and energy to doing what they can…"Suzanne Simard and countless other scientists have enumerated the many environmental benefits of old-growth forest.""Attacking one of the nation’s largest and oldest organizations devoted to protecting our environment and going after a great public servant like Ken Brame was pathetic.""Of all the housing models, housing first, a version of permanent supportive housing, has the imprimatur of research demonstrating its effectiveness at ending homelessness."