- Not only were women the organizers of the Southern Highland Craft Guild, but they also made up a significant part of its membership. The works selected for Appalachian Innovators show…“We believe in giving kids access to the arts. Our creative work has been the vehicle for our development as people — I can't imagine being deprived of the opportunity…Rosalind Buda (bassoon), Alan Theisen (saxophone) and Ivan Seng (piano) will showcase their instruments in various combinations at Isis Restaurant & Music Hall on Sunday, March 20.“We're into the pirate thing; we're into the carnival and circus thing. But we're not defining ourselves by those genres,” says songwriter and keyboardist Danny Tetrault. “There's a kind of…The international bestselling suspense writer pays his first visit to Malaprop's Bookstore and Café to celebrate new release GOODBYE TO THE DEAD on Saturday, March 19.From Asheville on Bikes annual Bike of the Irish to a DJ dance party at Lexington Avenue Brewery, Mountain Xpress has a roadmap so you can snake across the long…The local author and former Los Angeles Police Department member presents his new book Convict Lake: Behind the Badge at MetroWines on Friday, March 18.Local funk band Supatight opens for Hustle Souls at The Altamont Theatre on Thursday, March 17.
- New eatery HenDough has maxed out its kitchen serving fried chicken and imaginative doughnuts to Hendersonville residents; Oakley Farmers Market is moving to a new location; Black Mountain Ciderworks is…The owner of Mamacita's is bringing a new tacocentric restaurant to Charlotte Street that will feature handmade tortillas with corn imported from Mexico.The brewery plans to open a 57,000-square-foot production facility this summer on a 17-acre property in Arden.
- More creative work from the 2016 Kids Issue, including this jewel: "I’m from a beer-guzzling city with bluegrass tattooed bodies and acupuncture for adults, kids and dogs."More gems from the Kids Issue 2016, including this excerpt: "Who am I? I don’t quite know yet. Who do I think I am? I could write forever.""My grandparents would also do anything for me. They support me in every way.""I love the feeling I get when I’ve found someone who looks past my flaws and sees who I truly am.""The way I let my body flow, be free to just let go and leap in a dance, is what makes me 'me.'""Who am I? I am winter bonfires and chasing little kids and little animals. Afternoons spent out in the woods.""Mom works, gets ready, cleans up, relaxes, goes to sleep. She has beautiful hands."Upcoming mushroom log-inoculation workshops A mushroom log-inoculation workshop this month will offer participants the opportunity to learn how to grow mushrooms using proven methods. The outdoor workshop at Trout Lily…"I am from the wonderment of finding family out of friends who ran out in the rain on that hot summer day."Fifteen thousand patients visit the Minnie Jones Health Center in downtown Asheville each year. Most of them are low-income residents of the area, often under- or uninsured. More than 200…The second annual Get in Gear Fest comes to Asheville’s River Arts District Saturday, March 19. Hosted by the Outdoor Gear Builders of Western North Carolina, a local trade group,…A group of local farmers, gardeners, educators and food enthusiasts recently joined forces to participate in Slow Food Asheville's first Heritage Food Project, honoring and promoting the Nancy Hall sweet…
- UNCA hosts the F (feminist)-Word Film Festival, Mechanical Eye presents expanded cinema performances and sign-ups open for Toy Boat's Ten Minute Movies.
- The long-awaited Asheville Tool Library will hold its grand opening Saturday, April 9. The collaborative effort has been several years and a couple of false starts in the making, beginning…Preppers — those who focus on preparing themselves and their families for disruptions or disasters — are a diverse group. From those who plan for the possibility of a three-day…WHAT: An event celebrating World Water Day and benefitting SAFE Water Now WHEN: Tuesday, March 22, 5-10 p.m. WHERE: Avenue M WHY: In 1993, the United Nations General Assembly designated March…The Home, Garden & Green Living Show, happening March 18-20 at the U.S. Cellular Center, provides examples of the range of options available to consumers interested in working toward a…
- "May we all think little and leave little footprints in Asheville."Randy Molton’s cartoon from March 2 highlights how difficult it can be to see the possibilities for resolution, healing and hope in the midst of conflict, and why it’s important…"With early voting now here in Asheville, I wish you would print your election endorsements issue a week earlier.""Helping my clients harmonize their planetary influences lies at the heart of my own Western astrology practice.""You promised a year ago to 'do better in terms of being more skeptical in our approach" and to "serve readers better by probing and challenging the local practitioner's or…"But except for several buildings from earlier periods, I feel that [Asheville's] late architecture represents a tide of mediocrity that needs to be reversed."