The finalists in the 2011 Mountain Xpress Poetry Prize are:
• James Cox, “By the Lake in Northern Michigan”
• James Davis, “Sourwood”
• John Eells, “Sleep And Dreams”
• Jessica Claire Newton, “Two Weeks Deep Into the Dirty Laundry”
• Randal Pride, “Coal Palace”
• Andrew Procyk, “Life and Death”
• Jesse S. Rice-Evans, “Taking A Bath In Frida Kahlo's Tub”
• Jessie Shires, “Corpus unum”
• Brian Sneeden, “The Temple”
• Tamsen Turner, “Sestina”
The overall winning poet will be announced Friday, April 8 at the Mountain Xpress Poetry Show.
The next installment of the Juniper Bends Reading Series is set for Friday, May 13 at Downtown Books & News (67 North Lexington Ave., Asheville).
Learn more at http://avl.mx/2v.
Poetry at the Pulp takes place on Tuesday, April 5 at 7 p.m. The Pulp is located below the Orange Peel (101 Biltmore Ave., Asheville) — enter from Hilliard Ave. $5 members/$10 non-members. pulpasheville.com.
Asheville Wordfest is a free poetry festival in downtown Asheville, scheduled for Wednesday, May 4-Monday, May 9. Find the complete schedule and information at ashevillewordfest.org.
Find more poetry events at mountainx.com/events, click “Spoken & Written Word” under the Arts section.—