Halloween Fest in Transylvania County
The U.S.A.’s only Transylvania County hosts this downtown-Brevard festival on Oct. 31, featuring a pumpkin-carving contest, a bicycle rodeo for kids, a costume parade and contest, mask-making workshops, a craft show, live music, and other activities for the whole family. Call 648-4523 for more info.
The Haunt Factory
This annual creepy-crawly offering features a tour de force of scary illusions and corridor upon corridor of spooky happenings, all showcasing some of Hollywood’s best special effects. The Haunt Factory is located at River Ridge Shopping Center, and is open until 7 p.m. on Halloween. Call 299-FEAR for more info.
The Legend of Tommy Hodges
The Cradle of Forestry and the Brevard Little Theatre host performances of this outdoor drama on Oct. 30 and 31, based on the true story of a student who mysteriously vanished from the Biltmore Forest School in 1906. Performances are held at 6 and 7:15 p.m. at the Cradle of Forestry (U.S. Hwy. 276 in the Pisgah National Forest, near Brevard). Admission is $5 for adults; children ages 6 and under get in free. Call 884-5713 for more info.
Coven Oldenwilde’s fourth annual public witch ritual
Hundreds of witches from throughout the Southeast will gather at the Unity Retreat Center (on Fanning Bridge Road, just past the Asheville Airport), 8 p.m.-midnight on Halloween. Hosted by Asheville’s Coven Oldenwilde, the theme of this year’s rite is “Via Mortis: The Way of Death,” a mystical journey that explores death’s mysteries. Organizers hope that this annual rite (begun in 1995) will help dispel negative stereotypes associated with witchcraft. All are welcome. Call 251-0343 for more info.
Ghosts and Goblins in the Gardens
The High Country Art & Craft Guild, in conjunction with UNCA’s Botanical Gardens, presents “Ghosts and Goblins in the Gardens” on Oct. 28 and 28, 6-9 p.m. This series of guided tours through the woods will feature costumed tour guides; chats with witches, fortunetellers and assorted monsters; scary storytellers; ghosts from Asheville’s past; and lots of surprises on the trail. Tickets are $2 for adults and $1 for children. Call 252-3880 for more info.
Stage Fright 2
UNCA hosts this spooky haunted theater, chock full of ghosts and goblins, at the Carol Belk Theater, Oct. 29-31. The show also features a lights on tour of the theater, which will teach youngsters how special effects work. Also included is a mysterious, “ghost” tour of the theater. The lights on tour will be held at 7:30 p.m. each evening, with the show starting at 8 p.m. Admission is $5 for adults and $3 for children. Call 251-6610 for more info.
Howl ‘o Ween
The WNC Nature Center hosts this spooktacular event for the family, 6-9 p.m. on Oct. 31 Featured are treats, a variety of fun and educational programs, and, most importantly, the chance to howl with the wolves. Call 250-4260 for more info.
Parks and Rec’s Ghostly community events
Everyone is welcome at the following Halloween community celebrations, all sponsored by the Asheville Parks and Recreation Department:
• Oakley Community Center: The center sponsors a fun-filled Halloween evening of haunted happenings, 5:30-8:30 p.m. Call 274-7088 for more info.
• East Asheville Community Center: In East Asheville, old-fashioned fun with games, treats, game booths, pumpkin carving and more are the order of the evening on Oct. 31, 5-8:30 p.m. Call 298-4990 for more info.
• Montford Community Center: Visit the Montford haunted house and carnival on Oct. 31, 5:30-8:30 p.m. Dress in your scariest costume for this event. Call 253-3714 for more info.
• Shilo Recreation Center: Shilo hosts a Halloween party on Oct. 31 for youngsters age 5 to 11, 5-7:30 p.m. Youth ages 12 and up can party from 7:30-9:30 p.m. Call 274-7739 for more info.
• W.C. Reid Center: The Center sponsors a haunted house on Oct. 28-31, 7:30-9:30 p.m., and a Halloween carnival on Oct. 31, 5:30-8:30 p.m. Call 254-8008 for more info.
• North Asheville Community Center: The North Asheville Halloween carnival, for kids age 5 to 12, gears up on Oct. 30, 3-6 p.m. Call 258-2453 for more info.
• Burton Street Center: Check out the Burton Street Halloween carnival on Oct. 31. Kids 11 and under party 5:30-7:30 p.m., and youth 12 and over take center stage 7:30-9:30 p.m. Call 254-1942 for more info.
• Harvest House: Harvest House’s Halloween Carnival for the entire family runs 5:30-8:30 p.m., featuring games, a costume contest and much more. Call 252-6021 for more info.