By now, dear reader, you probably know the drill: Below is a list of all the free and under $5 shows (and a couple with no listed cover charge, but our best guess is that they’re bargain priced—feel free to let us know if we’re wrong). Know of other shows that should have made the list? Add ‘em in the comments space.
Friday, April 24
• Kick the weekend off with bluegrass from Brushfire Stankgrass at French Broad Brewery (101 Fairview Rd., Asheville, 277-0222). 5:45 p.m., free.
• Chapel Hill’s I Was Totally Destroying It takes the stage at New French Bar (12 Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 225-6445) with The Baker Family Band (pictured), Hammer No More The Fingers and Ben Flanagan. 9 p.m.
• Local (when he’s not our roving) ragtime musician Woody Pines lands at Mo Daddy’s (77B Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 258-1550) for a 10 p.m. set.
Saturday, April 25
• Funk-fusion artist Robert Dimaio plays a free 5:45 p.m. show at French Broad Brewery (101 Fairview Rd., Asheville, 277-0222).
• Spring Hill, Tenn.-based Christian rockers Seventh Day Slumber will be at West Henderson High School (3600 Haywood Rd., Hendersonville, 388-4790) for a 7 p.m. performance. Free.
• PJ Brunson, a singer/songwriter, acoustic guitarist and pianist from Rock Hill, S.C., shows off his skills at Well-Bred Bakery & Cafe (26 North Main St., Weaverville, 645-9300). 8 p.m., free.
• Something akin to a standing gig, Cabo Verde returns to Zambra (85 Walnut St., Asheville, 232-1060) for a free, 8 p.m. set.
• Will Straughan performs with Lance Mills & the Cavemen at Beacon Pub & Bistro (204 Whitson Ave., Swannanoa, 686-0006) 8 p.m.
• Take in some local hip-hop with Motorskills at Mo Daddy’s (77B Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 258-1550). 8 p.m., $5. (As the artist’s Web site notes, “You know you want some Mo’!”)
• Marsellus Rhythm Co. plays funk and r&b at Westiville Pub (777 Haywood Rd., Asheville, 225-9782). 9 p.m., $4.
• One-handed guitarist Jason “Lefty” Williams plays with a full band at The Emerald Lounge (112 N. Lexington Ave., Asheville, 232-4372). 9 p.m., $5.
• Now You See Them takes the stage at Town Pump (135 Cherry Street, Black Mountain, 669-4808). 9 p.m., $3. Says the band, “We’re playing with local Asheville legends Tennessee Hollow. Should be an awesome show and plus we’re back at Town Pump…our first local venue…yeah!”
• Cyrus Atkins plays Mike’s Side Pocket (375 Haywood Rd, Asheville, 281-3096) with Klustafuk and U.P.A.S.S. 10 p.m., $3.
Sunday, April 26
• Christian group The Browders appear at Swannanoa Freewill Baptist Church (200 Park St., Swannanoa, 686-1333). 10 a.m. (that’s a morning gig).
• Black Mountain world musicians Hickorys Ashes perform at Ja Vin (115 Black Mountain Ave., Black Mountain, 664-0088), opening for Chesterface. 8 p.m., free.
• Embarrassing Fruits from Chapel Hill plays New French Bar (12 Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 225-6445) with King Tut and Badways. 10 p.m., $5.
—Alli Marshall, A&E reporter