Friday, Dec. 10
• The Vintage Vanity Holiday Trunk Show features upcycled vintage jewelry by Amber Hatchett. Get first dibs on gifty things at Hip Replacements (72 N. Lexington Ave., Asheville, ) 5-7 p.m. Part of the proceeds go to the Asheville Grown Business Alliance.
• The Newsworthy Drawing Club (a collective of artists based in Asheville who hold weekly meetings in which unusual current events are exchanged and collaboratively illustrated) will debut its third annual handbound and illustrated book, Newsworthy. “These limited edition books are composed of drawings loosely based upon factual news reports gathered from various sources throughout the year of 2010. The show is a retrospective of the most macabre and bizarre events of the year. Local singer and songwriter, Matt Evans has written songs based upon some of the factual events that are profiled in the book. He will perform the original ballads live at the artist’s reception, which starts at 7 p.m.” Harvest Records (415 Haywood Rd., West Asheville). The show remains on display through December.
• Tonight marks the annual Acoustic Holiday Guitar Concert (Celebration) at Jubilee! (46 Wall St., Asheville, 252-5335). Musicians Ed Gerhard and Bill Mize perform; Jubilee! describes the show as “a wonderfully calm oasis for many folks who return year after year to listen to the exquisitely soothing sounds of traditional Christmas classics as well as original material. Playing together or separately, these two guitar wizards always put on one of the best and most memorable shows of the year! There’s something for everyone at this truly magical winter event.” 8 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 11
• New gallery The Circle (426 Haywood Rd., West Asheville, 254-3332) announces December as “Upcycled Fashion” month and holds an Upcycled Fashion Trunk Show for fashion insiders or special customers. New releases from artists will contain at least 75% recycled materials. Says the Facebook invite, “New upcycled fashion collections from local designers will be released too!!. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, American’s throw away 6,330,000 tons of clothing and footwear a year!! Our local designers use re-cycled, upcycled, & repurposed materials. Funky, fun, local, & original, we got something just perfect for you! Stop in for some pre-jam festivies!” 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
• And another trunk show (tis the season!): Jade Stone Jewelry Holiday Trunk Show (pictured above) takes place at Spiritex (14 Haywood St., Asheville, 254-3375). “Recycled Hand-Tooled Copper, Peruvian Talismans, Turquoise, Freshwater Pearls, Ruby in Zoisite, Hand Cut Carnelian, 14K Gold and Faceted Gemstones, Sustainable Wood & Seeds, Natural Feathers & Sterling Silver.” And: “We will be serving baked goodies and refreshments.” 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
• Asheville Symphony Orchestra celebrates the season with a Holiday Pops concert featuring the Asheville Symphony Chorus and the Asheville Symphony Children’s Chorus. This is a 3 p.m. matinee show.
Before you comment
The comments section is here to provide a platform for civil dialogue on the issues we face together as a local community. Xpress is committed to offering this platform for all voices, but when the tone of the discussion gets nasty or strays off topic, we believe many people choose not to participate. Xpress editors are determined to moderate comments to ensure a constructive interchange is maintained. All comments judged not to be in keeping with the spirit of civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned. See here for our terms of service. Thank you for being part of this effort to promote respectful discussion.