Blank walls – they’re everywhere. But in Buncombe County, there’s an opportunity for there to be three fewer thanks to the BC Creative Equity Mural Project. “Each day, thousands of people pass by these blank spaces with no connection, no inspiration,” said Register of Deeds Drew Reisinger. “With the abundance of incredible talent in our area, there’s no reason why these spaces shouldn’t be filled with art that reflects the people, places, and values of Buncombe County.”
Reisinger first inquired about utilizing the wall on the west side of the Register of Deeds building at 205 College St. as potential mural space, and it wasn’t long before that proposal grew to include a wall in the parking deck at 164 College St. and a wall outside the Tax Office at 94 Coxe Ave.
Now, Buncombe County is looking for artists to submit proposals for those three spaces to promote racial equity, enhance a culture of diversity, and promote reconciliation and restoration. Proposals from individual artists or collaborations between artists are welcome.
“This call for art submissions is open to all, regardless of experience or the size of a portfolio,” said Chief Equity & Human Rights Officer Rachel Edens. “In Buncombe County, we value diversity and inclusivity, and we encourage applications from people who have been adversely impacted by systemic racism in connection with local governmental institutions.”
The number of artists and/or murals is to be determined, based on the results of this call for submissions. Selected art may be used in whole or in part.
The intended installation dates of these murals are Spring/Summer 2023.
Proposed mural locations:
94 Coxe Ave.: The proposed mural site is a wall by the Tax Office on street level, approximately 2,250 square feet in size. There are also five sections between the windows on the building with approximately 55 square feet each and the wall on the backside of the building, approximately 125 square feet in size.
164 College St.: The proposed mural site is the parking deck walls, including a wall on ground level, approximately 385 square feet in size as well as two walls on levels 2-6 beside the stairs, approximately 625 square feet total.
205 College St.: The proposed mural site is a wall on the courthouse side of the Register of Deeds building, approximately 1,500 square feet in size.
Proposals for interior murals within Buncombe County Government buildings also will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Click here for a video that shows proposed locations.
The fine print:
To submit, email Rachael.Nygaard@BuncombeCounty.org by Nov. 11, 2022 with “Equity Mural” in the subject line. All proposals should include the following:
1. Artist name(s), organization name (if applicable), address, email, and phone number
2. Introduction expressing artist(s) interest in the mural project and explaining roles of collaborators/partners (if any)
3. Description of proposed mural, including how mural design reflects the theme
4. Image(s) with visual rendering of proposed mural
5. List of proposed materials, including information about durability
6. Estimated square footage, including a range if applicable and desired mural location, if any
7. Description of the method which will be used to securely affix the mural and timeline for installation and completion of the mural, not to exceed six months from the date of mural approval
8. Mural maintenance requirements and schedule
9. Summary of artist’s experience and statement of how the artist’s past work demonstrates an ability to successfully implement the mural. Images of past artwork, public art projects, and/or murals may be included for reference
10. Project cost, including line-item detail regarding proposed artist fee(s), materials, equipment needed for installation, projected mural maintenance/repair expenses, and any other applicable costs.
• The theme is racial equity, reconciliation, and restoration.
• Designs should reflect Buncombe County’s people and beauty.
• New artists and/or collaboration are encouraged.
• Submissions are due by Nov. 11, 2022 and should be sent in by email.
• Proposals should include all 10 required elements, including all proposed costs (artist fee(s), materials, equipment needed for installation, and projected mural maintenance/repair expenses).
For more information, including the selection process, visit www.buncombecounty.org/equitymural.
Before you comment
The comments section is here to provide a platform for civil dialogue on the issues we face together as a local community. Xpress is committed to offering this platform for all voices, but when the tone of the discussion gets nasty or strays off topic, we believe many people choose not to participate. Xpress editors are determined to moderate comments to ensure a constructive interchange is maintained. All comments judged not to be in keeping with the spirit of civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned. See here for our terms of service. Thank you for being part of this effort to promote respectful discussion.