Asheville Music School hiring Program Director
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Program Director will have responsibility in two major areas: Sound Education Outreach and Summer Camp, both of which include faculty management.
The Program Director will:
• Plan and manage budgets for each program
• Evaluate current programs annually for artistic excellence and adherence to the AMS mission
• Compile program data, including enrollment, demographics for grant purposes
• Communicate with program faculty, including facilitation of payment requests
• Strong communication and organizational skills a must
• Ability to initiate and undertake new projects on one’s own
• Experience working within and planning budgets
• Musical skills a plus, but not required. Knowledge of live sound equipment a plus, but not required.
Sound Education Outreach Program
• Maintaining consistent and positive community presence of outreach program
• Cultivating partnerships with community organizations and outreach sites. Includes maintaining current relationships, and adding new sites as needed (approx. 1 new site per year).
• Providing management of all current outreach ensemble leaders, developing new ensembles as needed, and recruiting ensemble members as needed.
• Scheduling of preparatory ensemble performances (recitals or other in-house showcases) and outreach ensemble performances.
• Ensemble leader support including backup rehearsal leading, student/family communications and support, technical and clerical support, and coordinating supplemental private lessons with appropriate faculty as needed.
• Assessing and supporting performance readiness of all outreach performers in collaboration with outreach ensemble leaders and coaches.
• Attending performances as deemed necessary by the ED.
• Act as spokesperson for outreach program when attending events.
• Recommendations to scholarship manager for need-based and merit scholarship recipients in service of outreach ensembles.
• Handle incoming requests for outreach performances, and general AMS student ensemble performances.
Duties and responsibilities include:
• Planning, scheduling and implementation of camp auditions
• Coordination with teachers to place students in appropriate camp ensembles
• Recruitment of campers for needed ensemble positions
• Oversight of all camp activities and schedules
• Act as communication point person between parents, teachers and campers
• Faculty supervision and support, including repertoire selection, and scheduling of appropriate supplemental teachers
• Coordinate and plan field trips w/ teacher assistance
• Assess and order needed equipment and supplies
• Work with faculty to evaluate ensemble needs and award merit-based scholarships within budget constraints and with approval of AMS Director
• Be present on first Monday of each camp (8:30am) to welcome families and students
• Attend closing concert on last day (typically Friday) of each camp
• Create and disseminate program evaluations to families, students and teachers; meet with teachers for post-camp evaluation in August
Time and Pay
Program Director is a part-time position, with fluctuating time commitments between 10-15 hours per week.
Minimum annual salary: $10,000