Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
- Burial Beer Co. will release three packaged beers this week: First off, on Wednesday, Oct. 26, the second iteration of Burial’s Self Titled Album series, Verse Imperial Maple Stout, brewed with black barley and chocolate malt and finished with maple syrup and lactose, will be available on draft and in 750-milliliter bottles in the taproom for $16 a bottle. Next up, Friday, Oct. 28, will see the return of Ceremonial Session IPA cans. This batch of Ceremonial features Eureka hops and will see limited distribution. Finally, the brewery will release The Coronation Belgian-Style Tripel with Lemongrass on Saturday, Oct. 29, to coincide with its third-annual Burnpile Harvest Festival. More details about this bottle release can be found in Scott Douglas’ most recent Beer Scout article.
- Burial has a big week coming up, with six small-batch beers set to hit taps. On Tuesday, Oct. 25 Gandasa Double India Pale Ale an 8 percent ABV IPA hopped with Amarillo, Mosaic, Citra, Simcoe, Calypso, Cascade and Summit hops will be pouring. On Wednesday, Oct. 26, Self Titled Album: Verse will be tapped to coincide with its release in bottles. Thursday, Oct. 27 will see the introduction of From Tolland, With Love Fresh-Hopped Spelt Ale, a 6.2 percent ABV Golden Ale with a grist of 45% Spelt and Chinook and Centennial hops grown by Head of Brewing Operations Vince Tursi’s parents in Tolland, CT. On Friday, Oct. 28 the latest batch of Ceremonial Session IPA will go on draft to coincide with the can release. Finally, on Saturday, Oct. 29, kegs of The Coronation Belgian-Style Tripel and Skullsaw Harvest Porter will be tapped for Burnpile. The Coronation is a traditional tripel hopped with Saaz and Mount Hood and fermented on lemongrass from Burial’s urban garden. Skullsaw is a 6 percent ABV porter brewed with a malt bill of Two-Row, Munich and Midnight wheat along with 450 pounds of North Carolina sweet potatoes.
- On Wednesday, Oct. 26, Wicked Weed Brewing will host Beer and Bites, a special lunch event to benefit Pisgah Legal Services. RSVP is required to attend, $15 suggested donation. RSVPs can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- From Friday, Oct. 28, through Monday, Oct. 31, all Thirsty Monk locations will host the first Screaming Weekend event. All weekend customers who purchase a 12-, 16- or 20-ounce pour of Thirsty Monk’s Screaming Monk IPA will receive free glassware from a number of different breweries.
- New Belgium Brewing will host three events on Saturday, Oct. 29. From 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Race to the Taps will take runners on either a four- or eight-mile loop as part of its Marathon Edition Running Series. Then, from 2:30-5 p.m. Asheville on Bikes will host Pumpkin Peddaler, a family-friendly 10-mile guided ride beginning and ending at New Belgium. Finally, from 5-10 p.m., the brewery will host a dance party and costume contest featuring special beers on tap including Nitro Oscar Worthy Coffee and Love Apple Felix along with a few surprises.
- Burial Beer Co. will host its third-annual Burnpile Harvest Festival at the brewery on Saturday, Oct. 29, from noon-10 p.m.
- Urban Orchard Cider Co. will celebrate both Halloween and its third anniversary with a party at the West Asheville cidery on Saturday Oct. 29, from noon-1 a.m. The party will include a DJ, Cider Fire Flight with chilies from Smokin’ J’s pepper farm, Halloween performances, a costume contest, face painters and a “fancy hot dog bar.” Details can be found here.
- Hi-Wire Brewing will host its inaugural West Asheville Circus Crawl on Saturday, Oct. 29, starting at 2:45 p.m. The crawl begins at 1042 Haywood Road (Upcountry Brewing), and attendees are encouraged to dress up in their best circus-themed costumes. The pub crawl will stop at four West Asheville bars featuring Hi-Wire beer specials, followed by a costume contest, with prizes for the best overall costume and costume most like a Hi-Wire Beer label.
- On Saturday, Oct. 29, Catawba Brewing Co. will host a free Halloween party at the South Slope taproom from 7-10 p.m. Full details about the event can be found in Scott Douglas’ most recent Beer Scout article.
- Sanctuary Brewing Co, Southern Appalachian Brewery and Blue Ridge Humane Society host a Halloween Pup Crawl on Saturday Oct. 29. The crawl begins at 3 p.m. with an adoption event at Southern Appalachian Brewery in Hendersonville, followed by a walk down Main Street to Sanctuary Brewing Co. for another adoption event at 5 p.m. and a Halloween party starting at 8 p.m.
- Blue Ghost Brewing Co. will host a Halloween movie night from 7-11 p.m. at the brewery in Fletcher featuring Casper and Halloween.
- Twin Leaf Brewing will host a Halloween dance party on Saturday, Oct. 29, from 9 p.m.-1 a.m. at its South Slope tasting room.