UPDATE: On Jan. 7, Asheville Brewing Co.’s three locations succeeded in collecting 350 coats and 120 blankets through its coat drive. Of that number, 200 coats and 100 blankets were delivered to the Salvation Army downtown in time to be distributed to those in need of warmth during last night’s Code Purple freezing temperatures. The remaining donations will be distributed today. No figures are yet available from the other participating breweries. As a late addition, Asheville Brewers Supply is offering a discount of 10 percent today (Thursday, Jan. 8) to those who bring in a coat or blanket to be donated.
With temperatures tonight expected to dip into the negatives with wind chill, Asheville Brewing Company has issued a challenge to other local breweries: Let’s start an instant coat drive! Additional breweries may jump on this afternoon, but right now here’s what folks are offering in exchange for winter coats or blankets:
- Asheville Brewing Company’s Mike Rangel says all three ABC locations are part of the drive, and donations can be traded for a $10 gift card.
- Highland has responded and says it’s in for the same deal. Stop by the tasting room, donate and get a $10 gift card.
- Oskar Blues is also part of the $10 gift card club and is accepting donations at its Tasty Weasel taproom (at the brewery).
- Hi-Wire is offering a free pint in exchange for a winter coat or blanket.
- Burial Beer will trade donations for a free pint of select beers.
- Barley’s Taproom and Pizzeria is offering $10 gift cards for donations.
These deals are good today only as an incentive to donate now and help those in need keep warm on this cold January night.