- “Microfibers come off polyester clothes in the washing machine, and those particles pollute waterways,” says Grace Gouin, strategist at Echoview Fiber Mill in Weaverville. Streams are so loaded with the…The full six-piece band, Chris Jamison’s Ghost, will celebrate the album’s release with a show at The Grey Eagle on Wednesday, April 26.This year, the city of Asheville and its partners got serious about the environment, scheduling not just a mere Earth Day celebration, but a full roster of activities for Asheville…The discussion, which takes place on Tuesday, April 25, at 6 p.m. at the Diana Wortham Theatre, is free, but attendees must RSVP.Gillum composed Me, The Worst of Them All, as part of the four-day festival running Thursday-Sunday, April 20-23 at The BeBe Theatre. Her performance honors 17th-century Mexican nun and feminist…Local youth filmmakers' brisk adaptations of award-winning children's literature will be screened at Pack Library on Saturday, April 22.The self-styled “ambassador of rap for the capital,” will stop at Western Carolina University’s Ramsey Center on Thursday, April 20.Spellbound Children's Bookshop owner Leslie Hawkins says she's always wanted to host a "dinner with the author" event, and that goal will be realized on Tuesday, April 25, when her…This year's summit takes place on Friday, April 21, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at The Collider.
- The revered Tampa brewery expands its footprint with help from a fellow craft beer canner.Warm weather and sunny days mean brunch season has arrived at local restaurants.The Cantina at Historic Biltmore Village is vying for a $100,000 grant that will allow it to expand its Skip a Meal program statewide. Also: Rhubarb hosts its third FED…
- Slow Food Asheville recently announced the Cherokee Purple heirloom tomato as the focus of their 2017 Heritage Food Project. The organization will disseminate 1,700 Cherokee Purple seedlings to area individuals,…Direct and concierge care are gaining traction in Asheville, offering alternative forms of health care for patients who are looking for more time with their doctors and are willing to…
- The local web series When Fact Met Fiction seeks funding for its second season, Frank Thompson's book on silent films shot in Asheville is published and more.
- From pickleball to bike polo, opportunities to find community while being active abound in WNC — and you don't have to be traditionally athletic to join in the fun.We all have to breathe to live, and the good news is that here in Western North Carolina, the quality of the air we all share is much better than…Despite confusing and contradictory results from a poll designed to measure voter preferences on how Ashevillians elect their representatives to City Council, Council decided on April 11 to take steps…
- "The NC We the People Campaign is procuring a ballot measure for the 2018 election that declares that the people of North Carolina support amending the USA Constitution to establish…"If I cannot park in the same parking lot I have parked in for years to visit one of my favorite eateries without incurring a ticket that exceeds my meal…"I am writing this letter to ask that both readers, listeners (radio), watchers (TV), editors and owners of various area mass media look at their staffs and their coverage for…"This is a remarkable environmental success story! Many agencies and organizations can be proud of their contributions to this. Together, they’ve demonstrated that bold action at many different levels can…Asheville