- Style has many dimensions, but one of the first that comes to mind is the personal aesthetic expression of those who live, work and pass through here.As podcasts and their on-air partners, broadcasts, gain national and international popularity, plenty of locally produced and focused shows are also winning fans and generating discussion.Local designers are challenging the area's casual-meets-utilitarian ethos. Mothers are creating delicate tops with salmon scalloping, artists are recycling flower petals to dye dresses and long-time West Ashevillians are importing…The Oakland-based rockers visit The Grey Eagle on July 21.Even though he has his hand in many different pursuits, live performance remains among LaMotte’s most treasured experiences. “It really is a cooperative effort,” he says. “The power of songs…Plankeye Peggy and Battery Powered Hooker Boots musically battle July 20 at The Mothlight.On July 19, the Asheville Creative Arts will debut its first original musical, Bugs! at The Magnetic Theater. The production runs through Sunday, July 29.The 71st annual celebration of contemporary and traditional craft runs July 20-22 at the U.S. Cellular Center.The unconventional life of oddball partyer Mame Dennis (played by Lyn Donley) is shaken up when, after her brother-in-law passes away, she’s entrusted with her young nephew, Patrick (Andrew Delbene).The 35th annual international festival runs July 19-29 in communities throughout Western North Carolina.The Feminine Faces of God concert takes place July 22 at St. James Episcopal Church in Black Mountain.
- Through their design strategies, menus and aesthetic themes, local eateries contribute to and define the city's distinct food scene.Representatives from Ginger's Revenge, New Belgium, Highland and Homeplace discuss their individual taprooms' styles.Citrus, bitters, hibiscus and more figure in these bright, refreshing drinks that can easily be made at home.Burial Beer Co. joins forces with Cucina 24 chef Brian Canipelli. Also: Spruce Pine BBQ & Bluegrass Festival returns; Folkmoot pairs with Blind Pig Supper Club; TreeRock Social Cider House…
- Since Caiyalynn Burrell's tragic death from an overdose in 2014, agencies from across the region and the state have come together to find new ways to help children and teens…Using repurposed containers and DIY soil amendments can make it easy and affordable to grow vegetables, herbs and fruit without a large garden plot.
- The Grail, Malaprop's and Asheville Art Museum team up to screen a documentary on scientific illustrator Renaldo Kuhler, World Peas Animations offers a pair of Movie Making Summer Camps and…
- In 1998, freelance writer Emily Capps was antiquing in Atlanta when she came across a pair of boxes.When it comes to hair, Asheville is “anything goes,” says Jami Redlinger, Best of WNC Hall of Famer for Hairstylist and co-owner of The Middy. But beneath that diversity, she…In our weekly roundup of business news in brief, Jeff Kaplan takes the helm of Venture Asheville, while local printing concern Allegra Marketing Print Mail was named No. 16 on…In our weekly roundup of community news in brief, the Cheshire Fitness Club in Black Mountain is set to become the newest location of the YMCA of Western North Carolina.Sylvan Sport founder Tom Dempsey says the inspiration for his company's adventure camping trailers comes from spending time outdoors — and there’s no better place to find inspiration than this…Local architects, preservationists and city officials discuss the evolving look of downtown Asheville.The ambitious proposal would increase bus service hours by 44 percent starting in fiscal year 2020, construct a new $50 million operating facility by 2024 and double the current fleet…During their meeting on July 10, commissioners approved an increase in monthly Waste Pro rates and took the first step in their formal search for a new county manager.
- "Of particular interest is the surprise that the Buncombe school system is ahead of the Asheville system in sex ed, despite Asheville not having viable fundamentalist opposition, unlike in Buncombe.""We need politicians in office that are willing to propose radical and even not-so-radical solutions to climate change, which is an existential threat to human civilization.""The signage is horrible!""I'm no marketing expert, but I think it's best if your advertising doesn't annoy the public.""With the halving of school resources over the last few years, it looks like Raleigh wants to make quite sure that our kids 'don’t count.' Defeating this brazen attack on…"Asheville is the cultural mecca it is due to the spirit of all those who have been here for generations welcoming the rest of us."