- Country for Syria, an Istanbul-based international music collective, blends traditional Middle Eastern sounds with American country.The fifth iteration of this local live music showcase is at Salvage Station on Tuesday, Oct. 25.Esperanza Spalding had, in fact, already recorded much of Emily's D+Evolution before deciding to work with a co-producer. “I didn’t know if this record was valid, or if it was…From Friday, Oct. 21 to Sunday, Oct. 23, geeks and gamers will gather at the Montreat Conference Center for the fourth annual Asheville Scarefest, which offers more than 20 different…Conducted by Daniel Meyer, the Halloween-appropriate performance is at the Thomas Wolfe Auditorium on Saturday, October 22.The performance is at UNCA's Lipinsky Auditorium on Saturday, Oct. 22.Costumes are encouraged at SCARY spoken word OPEN MIC, which takes place at Buffalo Nickel on Wednesday, Oct. 19.
- Kitchen 743 at Isis Music Hall celebrates its Battle of the Burger win, MOD Pizza opens in North Asheville, a pop-up dinner will preview soon-to-come Jargon restaurant, chef Elliott Moss…More and more these days, young people are enrolling in culinary school in order to get into the kitchen. That rise in enrollment begs the question: Is it worth it?Cantillon Zwanze Day celebrated the return of the Shelton Brothers Importers portfolio to the local market, and Burial Beer Co.’s third annual Burnpile Harvest Festival is slated for Saturday, Oct.…Owner Jessie Dean is partnering with Western North Carolina farmers and regional tea growers to create her hand-blended teas.
- At the Pisgah Legal annual poverty forum, founder of the Children's Defense Fund Marian Wright Edelman noted that the U.S. ranks next to last of industrialized nations in child poverty…Resonate Asheville celebrated the healing power of sound — with drumming, world soul, toning, and a variety of other sound-based modalities — at its third annual festival, held at the…For its fourth annual Barbells for Boobs fundraiser, Urban Athletic Training Center is inviting the public to work out, purchase baked goods and t-shirts, and hop into a mobile hydrostatic…
- The Grail screens a pro-ERA documentary, the Fine Arts hosts benefit screening for the All Souls Cathedral arts commission and Mechanical Eye presents a doc about Spain’s housing crisis.
- A brief roundup of Buncombe County news featuring a recap of the Board of Adjustment meeting and information about early voting.Learn considerations and best practices for building and using a composting toilet at a Living Web Farms workshop on Saturday, Oct. 29.City-sponsored early polling indicated that a solid majority of Asheville voters say they will vote for the proposed $74 million city bond referendum on this year's general election ballots, and…Has Asheville recovered from the trauma of its municipal debt crisis, which spanned the years between 1930 and 1976? The debt had a profound impact on Asheville's development, its cityscape…
- "The imprisonment for life of animals killed for food is a holocaust that makes all the combined crimes of humanity against other humans pale in number.""From the opening number to the closing epilogue, Sweeney grabs you and won’t let go.""Violence is violence, and if you believe in social justice, how can you support the abuse of animals simply because they cannot defend themselves? Isn't that the basis of most…"The point of my [letter] was to express that today, billions of animals are being slaughtered yearly, and this is acceptable to most people.""It is vital you turn out to vote also for your state and local candidates this election and be part of the swarm of mosquitos that can take back our…￼"These candidates care about solutions for global warming, planning for smart growth, farmland preservation and will protect our air and water from fracking and coal-ash pollution.""Unfortunately, the evaluation released by the Forest Service reduces the total acreage eligible for wilderness recommendation in the new forest plan by more than 80 percent. "