After reviewing voting records, questionnaires and interviews, the Sierra Club has made the following endorsements in contested Buncombe County races:
• Terry Van Duyn for N.C. Senate.
• John Ager for N.C. House.
• Brownie Newman for chair of the Buncombe County [Board of Commissioners].
• Nancy Nehls Nelson, Ed Hay and David King for Buncombe County [Board of Commissioners].
• Drew Reisinger for Register of Deeds.
Outside of Buncombe County, we have endorsed Jane Hipps for N.C. Senate District 50, and Rhonda Cole Schandevel and Joe Sam Queen for N.C. House Districts 118 and 119.
Statewide, the Sierra Club has endorsed Deborah Ross for U.S. Senate, Roy Cooper for governor, Linda Coleman for lieutenant governor, Josh Stein for attorney general and Michael Morgan for state Supreme Court.
Go to WENOCA.org to see a full list of endorsements. These candidates care about solutions for global warming, planning for smart growth, farmland preservation and will protect our air and water from fracking and coal-ash pollution.
— Ken Brame
Chair, Sierra Club Political Committee