- Old Crow Medicine Show returns to Pisgah Brewing Co. on Monday, May 25, at 7:30 p.m.Brevard native and best-selling YA novelist Megan Shepherd, the author of the Victorian Gothic Madman’s Daughter series, recently announced that she had sold The Secret Horses of Briar Hill, a…From funk to soul, roots to rock 'n' roll, here's the full lineup of bands playing free sets in Carrier Park Friday through Sunday, May 22-24.The group's debut album, Dead End Road, will be released during a celebratory performance, complete with special-edition pint glasses and koozies up for grabs at Pisgah Brewing Co.After years of recording music and playing with roots band Red June, Natalya Zoe Weinstein and her husband, guitarist John Cloyd Miller, are “excited to present some of our favorite…For years, the standard burlesque picture has been a fully clothed man in a suit surrounded by women who are nearly nude. But as the industry evolves and new voices…When a mysterious sickness surfaces and sea horses begin to disappear, a colorful crew of aquatic fauna must band together to identify and tackle the problem. It’s not the newest…In some respects, the sound recalls the musician's early records as Portastatic, his longtime side-project away from Superchunk. That outfit saw him experimenting with four-track home recordings that made ample…The self-guided, art-themed block party takes visitors on a 15-location stroll and features the paintings, sketches, ceramics, wood crafts, tiles, sculptures, clothing, jewelry and other works of two dozen makers.That production incorporates projected visuals, live music and vocal impressions. He takes content from a variety of disparate sources and reprocesses it through his own sensibility, creating something new and…
- It's a long, beer-loaded week, with a three-day round of festivals the first weekend. Here are a few highlights.From $4 a la carte tapas to a glorious $100 private dinner, Asheville Beer Week gives you lots of options for brews and meals.Beer Week is here! Need to know where to go and what to do? All things Beer Week are right here.Asheville Beer Week gives local breweries a chance to collaborate and experiment with new and exciting brews, but specialty beer stores and growler fillers also step up with a wealth…Asheville’s reputation as a beer destination is chiefly due to the high-quality ales and lagers produced here. But something else is clearly going on as well: Our breweries, by and…Asheville Beer Week is about the brewers. And, of course, it's about the beer. But this year, as the event enters its fourth year, the festival is also about something…Organizers say Mountain Sports Festival is a come-one-come-all event and that attitude is echoed in the multitude of nonsports attractions — in addition to extensive athletic programming — for participants…Just as Duke Ellington needed a band of skilled, talented musicians, good chefs need good support players. And Asheville's three nominees for the James Beard Foundation's Best Chef Southeast tip…
- What we often cull, throw away or compost can be the building blocks for new recipes, offering an infusion of flavor to many meals to come. And something deeper happens…The N.C. Outward Bound School is holding a half-century bike ride in memory of Collier Cobb Lilly, a graduate of the NCOBS, to raise awareness of bike safety, organ donation…When Claire Orenzow's replacement heart valve failed eight years after it was surgically implanted, the symptoms were excruciating. But doctors at Mission Hospital were able to repair Orenzow's heart with…With three days of interactive athletic programming — from kayaking to running, cycling to yoga, and everything in between — plus additional outdoor leisure activities, this month's Mountain Sports Festival…
- This week: Screening of silent film classics, cult favorites and Beer Week docs.
- "If you are upset about the lack of affordable housing in Asheville, consider these numbers — the true monthly costs of being a landlord.""If we want a thriving tourism economy and a “craft brew mecca” kind of culture, then we need law enforcement officers trained to deal with this new direction our fine…"A stand of about 70 tall, beautiful old trees on the South Slope of Asheville is in danger of being removed. It is one of the last, if not the…Identifying the challenges facing the Future I-26 project is fairly straightforward; implementing the needed improvements is more complicated. So how does an ordinary highway become an interstate? And when might…"Despite its name, Regional Recycling Solutions (the new solid-waste recycling facility proposed for West Asheville along Hominy Creek) is a big step backward for recycling here in Western North Carolina.""It would be a miracle if everybody for one week didn’t drive."Ken Putnam has a passion for parking. The city of Asheville's transportation director says that despite complaints, he never has a problem finding a spot downtown when he drives to…With interest in wild edibles and native medicinals growing, the demand on these plants is quickly exceeding the supply — leading to over-harvesting, poaching and a risk of extinction. When…In 2005, city and county officials adopted the 10-Year Plan to End Homelessness, an ambitious collaboration involving many local agencies. Significant progress has been made: Since 2005, chronic homelessness is…"I am writing in strong opposition to the Duke Power substation that is being built next to the new Isaac Dickson Elementary School."Members of Code for Asheville, a local Code for America brigade, are taking steps to help alleviate one of the city’s biggest problems: the affordable housing crisis."Strive Not to Drive is a fantastic opportunity to stop pollution, save money and get physical exercise."Jay Weatherly likes the "side-street feel" of his new High Five Coffee location, set to open in June on Rankin Avenue in downtown Asheville. The new site lies a few…"Needless to say, your news about the high rate of students smoking casts a cloud over the image of Warren Wilson."
- Thanks to a fortuitous series of events, the school is finally able to mitigate its carbon footprint. This spring, solar panels are sprouting out of the ground in Moon Field."Throwing money at it to stop it does not seem to be working, but instead, why not offer rewards for anyone that can provide a picture of anyone doing graffiti?"