- Fred Eaglesmith’s fans call themselves "Fredheads,” and that group knows that the singer-songwriter’s live performances include comic monologues and rock ’n’ roll treatments of new material and back catalog offerings.It’s hard to choose just five favorite albums. From hip-hop to soul and roots music to lush dream-pop, the offerings are as varied as the fanbase.It makes sense that Asheville’s music scene is not only broadening in terms of numbers of bands, venues and genres, but in the range of ages of its musicians. And,…The New Orleans-raised comedian shares gems of wisdom at The Odditorium Wednesday, Jan. 6, at 8 p.m.All are welcome to dance their way into 2016 in an imaginative getup (optional). The kickoff event is at The Grove House Wednesday, Jan. 6, at 7 p.m.What to expect when Unknown Hinson plays a special New Year’s Eve show with opening acts Drunken Prayer and Little Lesley & The Bloodshots? "Unknown Hinson is still alive, baby,…Allen holds a reading and signing for the paperback release of her book (the hardcover debuted last January) at Malaprop’s Monday, Jan. 4, at 7 p.m.
- From the infamous Sketch-ville comment to the "Welcome to Lovetown" billboard, Asheville's had some interesting moments over the course of 2015. Here’s a look at the top 10 most-viewed stories…A year after opening their highly anticipated Charlotte Street restaurant, chefs Patrick O'Cain and Chris Hathcock talk about how Asheville received their adventurous brand of Asian cuisine and how their…The number of craft distilleries is growing in North Carolina, with a few artisans just outside the Asheville area producing aged spirits that are finding their into WNC cocktail bars.Fletcher awaits the opening of Blue Ghost Brewery, New Mountain AVL opens its own taproom and Sweeten Creek Brewing starts pouring beer — and serving sandwiches.
- Asheville offers a wide variety of options to bring in the New Year intentionally, whether it be doing yoga, singing and dancing, creating a vision board, or taking in the…
- With jobs in short supply and rents sky-high, the clichéd story goes, highly educated professionals are reduced to waiting tables as they scramble to make ends meet. The numbers, though,…Pay-by-the-ounce frozen yogurt shop Jolly Goode is now open in Brevard; owners of Bonfire Barbecue and Cúrate are in the planning stages of expanding their separate eateries; and Publix is…
- "It would be awesome if some of your readers could write a letter or postcard to me telling me what they love about the state of North Carolina.""Asheville: center for creative arts and intellectual pursuits. East Asheville Library: the fourth most used library in the system. Yet poor Asheville government can’t provide what’s called the 'core of…"The most exciting beverage sold there was Flem’s Cherry Bounce, made from pure corn whiskey and some combination of cherries. Oh, it went down so smooth, but the bounce came…"The southern stretch of the [Blue Ridge] Parkway has become a congested and dangerous place for anyone wanting to bicycle or hike. Vehicles disregard speed limits, blasting along in a…"I also believe it's important to stress compassion regardless of the circumstances that lead someone to periods of homelessness."