- After the fourth annual showcase on Aug. 19, over 75 musicians will have represented their city as an Asheville All Star.The series will be on display at PUSH Gallery through Oct. 4, with an opening reception held Friday, Aug. 19.The party is at Isis Restaurant & Music Hall on Saturday, Aug. 20.The production, a satire about the “manosphere” (or men’s rights movement), takes its name from the The Red Pill online community, hosted on Reddit, “where men go to air their…In the 21st century, Wilson — working with his own group — doesn't shy away from his ambitious studio creations of the mid 1960s; in fact, he embraces them.Salvage Station hosts the riverside shindig, which features six local music acts, on Saturday, Aug. 20.The Mothlight hosts the release party for Erica Russo's new album Honey on Saturday, Aug. 20.Packway Handle Band performs songs from their recent album, a collaboration with Jim White, at The Grey Eagle on Saturday, Aug. 20.
- With intimate, hands-on classes that spotlight classic cocktails, The Imperial Life mixologists Ben Johnson and Jasper Adams are empowering Asheville's home bartenders one drink at a time.The Asheville Wine and Food Festival caps its eighth year with an updated Grand Tasting event; Gan Shan Station brings Charleston chef Daniel Heinze onboard for Sunday Supper, Appalachian Appetite…
- Advance healthcare directives help doctors and loved ones make end-of-life care decisions, but only if patients have prepared directives and communicated them ahead of time.
- The Grail screens a prison-based documentary with local ties, the West Asheville Library ends one film series and begins another and Wedge and Hi-Wire screen modern classics outdoors.
- Stream erosion is a growing problem in Western North Carolina. When a stream bank on your property erodes, more sediment enters the waterway and the area and appearance of your…As commercial rents rise ever higher in Asheville’s downtown, local business owners and other community members hope the area's popularity won’t lead to increasing homogenization, the proliferation of national chains…Asheville and its surrounding area continue to see culinary expansion. While this is good news for residents and tourists, some businesses are struggling to stay staffed.Buncombe County's new Family Justice Center will be a one-stop resource for victims of abuse. However, the Asheville area hasn’t always been as intentional about helping victims escape abuse.A multitude of outdoor water games, including a 20-foot tall slide, plus live music and food make the second Slide the Fletch fundraiser appropriate for adventurers and spectators alike. Hall…
- "The reproductive rights movement is being intentionally divided and conquered by gender.""It has come to my attention that [Congressman] Mark Meadows will not participate in usual forums prior to this very important November election.""If the Western Carolinas Modernization and Expansion project was truly a 'modernization' project, then Duke Energy Progress would not be trying to cram 100-year-old, air-cooled, ugly substations into the downtown…" I would say the repeated, almost daily, killing of unarmed and nonviolent black men, boys, women and girls is absolutely heartbreaking, soul-destroying and completely depressing."