- Award-winning poet and Burnsville resident Pat Riviere-Seel speaks with Xpress about her life as a poet and the unique perspectives all writers bring to the page.Performers and organizers discuss the COVID-19 pandemic's impact on comedy and how shared laughter is more powerful now than ever.A local attorney pens a new children's book. Plus, UNCA hosts the Mountain Dance and Folk Festival, a new art exhibit highlights creatures of the Serengeti and the Mount Mitchell…
- YMI Cultural Center hosts its latest Brother's Brunch. Also: New Origin Brewing celebrate its one-year anniversary; Foothills Meats announces new plans; and more!
- North Carolina has 53 cases of monkeypox as of July 29, according to a dashboard on the NCDHHS website. There have been no reported deaths from monkeypox in the U.S.
- Both Buncombe County and the city of Asheville have resolved that, by the end of 2030, government operations will be powered entirely by renewable energy. With less than eight years…Barbara Smith speaks with Xpress about her work as a Girl Scout over the last eight decades, her recent lifetime achievement award and her favorite Girl Scout cookie.Issues of racial and economic equity dominated the debate over residential valuations, with critics arguing that Buncombe’s practices are unfair to low-income residents and communities of color. While those issues…Opportunity zones offer tax breaks to investors who put money to work in areas designated as economically depressed — including parts of every Western North Carolina county. The latest edition…The Orange Peel will host Local Punk Showcase on its main stage Thursday, Aug. 4, highlighting four Asheville punk bands — Busy Weather, Cloud City Caskets, The Deathbots and Pink…Enka Partners of Asheville requests an amendment to the conditional zoning on 45.5 acres on Enka Heritage Parkway to allow for new site plans. Because a tenant expected to lease…The updates, which have been controversial, are meant to encourage the construction of affordable housing by reducing and simplifying building regulations and incentivizing stormwater management.
- "Business as usual is not going to take us where we need to go as a community resilient to the worsening effects of climate change or one that strives for…"If a new budget is not 'revenue neutral' by lowering the rate of taxation the appropriate amount, then you are slapped with a tax increase from your blind side."'Why should women be the ones who pay the price for an unwanted biological mishap?""In fact, in most cases, the assessor is conservative in his values. If he is wrong, that is what the appeals process is for, and it’s available to everybody."