- The the monthly Asheville meeting — which begins on Monday, Jan. 18, at Malaprop’s — takes its cues from the Writers Coffeehouse launched by New York Times best-selling author Jonathan…The Few opens for HOMME at The Mothlight Sunday, Jan. 17, at 9 p.m.In a geographic sense, "The Americans" may refer to any two or more people residing from Águila Islet to Cape Columbia. Musically, that name specifically applies to the Los Angeles…Oakley United Methodist Church hosts Asheville Baroque Concerts' recital of Renaissance and Baroque music Sunday, Jan. 17, at 3 p.m.When Smith’s eldest son, Jonah, was in his last year of high school, she decided to give him a series of cooking lessons so he’d be self-sufficient when he left…The DuPont Brothers return to Asheville to play an opening slot for local roots band Tellico at The Altamont Theatre on Saturday, Jan. 16, at 8 p.m.Local blues vocalist Peggy Ratusz and pianist Aaron Price are set to compete at the 32nd annual International Blues Challenge in Memphis later this month.For his 23rd birthday concert, Scotchie has planned a musical sampling of the South, which takes place at Isis Restaurant & Music Hall Saturday, Jan. 16, at 9 p.m.Before the Dragons unleash their funk- and Americana-inspired jams, fans can warm up with opening act Fritz Beer and the Crooked Beat. DJ Molly Parti closes the fundraiser with a…
- Whether advocating for change or dishing about microgreens, Asheville is filled with chefs who hold community close to heart.Just a stone's throw from Asheville, the little town of Brevard is building a dining scene that's well worth a daytrip — or two.Burial is planning a large-scale brewing expansion and more for its new 1.4-acre property.
- When used together, yoga and physical therapy can speed up healing for limited/impaired populations.
- The 2015 movie year was a rich and somewhat strange one. It was rich in that there were a lot of good — even great or near-great — films, but…Asheville School of Film offers a Keaton/Lloyd weekend seminar, Western Carolina Film School unveils a student short and the North Asheville Library goes South Pacific with a twist.
- In the past few months, two major chain retailers have been busy bees. Both The Home Depot and Lowe’s have begun phasing out the sale of flowering plants containing pesticides…Local leaders reflect on King’s influence and legacy nearly half a century after his assassination on April 4, 1968. Whether or not they were alive during King's lifetime, all agree…WNCW and Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project have teamed up to launch a new radio series called Growing Local; Villagers hosts a class on fermenting garden products into alcoholic beverages; Living…Oralene Simmons founded Asheville's Martin Luther King, Jr. Prayer Breakfast in 1982 for residents of the neighborhood surrounding the Montford Recreation Center. It quickly grew into an Asheville tradition that's…From Oct. 30 to Dec. 31, the Mountain Xpress Give!Local campaign raised $37,679 for 30 local nonprofits. Every dollar donated will go toward the nonprofit of the donor's choice, from…
- "Do we have a theater in Asheville that would love to perform this amusing and history-filled play?""It's hard to imagine a document or a policy that causes more cars per immigrant despite Council’s laughable rhetoric to the contrary; and it's no accident.""Of course, there are jerks driving the parkway and bicycling the parkway just as there are anywhere.""The time has come for Asheville and Buncombe County to take advantage of the Invest Health opportunity, take charge and assess the extent of poverty, examine the history behind the…