- "What I'm doing is preserving this important piece of Western North Carolina regional history," says Whitney Ponder, who purchased a property previously owned by Bascom Lamar Lunsford. "This man did…Asheville sumi-e artist releases a children's book. Plus, a local teen will dance in the Big Apple; one more weekend to visit a Cherokee mask exhibit; and more.
- Burning Blush, DSSOLVR and Leveller are among the few local taprooms offering traditional, foam-heavy pours.A new market and restaurant in Black Mountain. Plus, local breweries collaborate to aid Maui wildfire relief; ice cream yule logs; and more.
- In pursuit of that Holy Grail — natural sleep unaided by pharmaceuticals — some residents have resorted to an array of methods, from horses to herbs, massage to dance.
- Turnover was the theme in election results Nov. 7. Among the 10 winners in three jurisdictions, only one had appeared on a ballot before. Two of the 10 had been…High-speed fiber internet is on its way to several rural communities in Buncombe County, thanks to a $3.3 million state grant. Nearly 1,000 households will receive fiber internet service over…Asheville City Council voted unanimously Nov. 14 to postpone a vote on a proposed 279-unit apartment complex in Arden over concerns around a shortage of family-sized units and lack of…“I did not realize that we were so far ahead of everybody else in North Carolina,” said state Sen. Julie Mayfield, D-Buncombe. “All of these other cities do a great…
- "But the recent feeding (and attempted hugging?) of bears by visitors (which led to park closures impacting residents and guests alike) leads me to believe that the TDA (a group…"Federal and state grants have always had language that included fiscal and program oversight.""Many of those who were interested in joining were community leaders, prominent in both business and philanthropy. These folks met all the qualifications for membership but were denied acceptance solely…"Will you hand over your spiritual and mental freedom to those in authority who censor free speech? This is huge.""One of these days, a kid will be run over. Then the commissioners will say, 'Well, we were intending to start putting a sidewalk in on the day before.' It’ll…"They keep bragging publicly about their new fancy toys; this cutting-edge surveillance vehicle, drones, a cute publicity dog and a cop car that features the color pink. The city could…