- On Friday, April 19, ACA will debut The Warp & The Weft at Magnetic 375.In Part II of Xpress’ annual Kids Issues, we present even more superpowered art and writing from area students — plus extensive listings for area summer camps, along with a…Now in its 17th iteration, the three-day event also brings poets A Van Jordan and Ricardo Nazario y Colón, novelists Marilynne Robinson and Silas House, nonfiction authors Cristina Henriquez and…With the benefit of hindsight, each of Drunken Prayer’s previous albums seems like a step on the road to making Cordelia Elsewhere; the record adds up to a showcase of…David Einzig's folk/soul ensemble concludes its monthlong Ben's Tune Up residency on March 20 and 27.When she celebrates the release of a new video for her song “Clapback” on Thursday, March 21, Virtuous will take the stage at The Social on Tunnel Road.The four North Carolina indie rockers play The Mothlight on March 25.It may not have the subtlety and wit of “Saturday Night Live” sketches, which it resembles, but Action Move: The Play, written by Chicago-based playwrights Joe Faust and Richard Ragsdale,…The comedian headlines an all-Atlanta show on March 23 at LaZoom Room.The fundraiser for Planned Parenthood South Atlantic takes place March 23 at Wedge Brewing Co.’s Foundation space.
- One shop is slated to open in West Asheville in April and another downtown this summer with more on the horizon.Four breweries and a bottle shop add to the Brevard area's local and tourist appeal.Moving to Conservers is partnering with local farms, breweries and organizations to connect food waste producers with businesses and individuals who can put scraps to good use.Asheville Drag Brunch is new monthly series raising funds for local nonprofits. Also: The Block Off Biltmore hosts a vegan dessert fundraiser, Ginger's Revenge hosts an oyster dinner, Manicomio Pizza…
- Hundreds of native tree varieties, including pawpaws, maples, oaks, river birches, sourwoods and more, will be up for grabs at the March 30 event.
- UNCA hosts its ninth Human Rights Film Festival and the Grail screens a documentary on childhood toxic stress.
- In summer 1948, a polio outbreak led to the closure of local theaters, churches and civic gatherings, including the third annual soap box derby.ASHEVILLE, N.C.Nationwide, between a quarter and a third of U.S. students have been bullied at school, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and most bullying happens in…The N.C. GlaxoSmithKline Foundation donated $1 million to The North Carolina Arboretum with the intent to expand Project ecoEXPLORE from 23 WNC counties to all 100 counties across the state.…What are you waiting for? Turn your side hustle into a budding business with a $5,000 micro grant from community donors coordinated by Venture Asheville. Applications are due April 1,…Kit Cramer, president and CEO of the Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce, is sold on the business benefits of family-friendly workplace policies, and other area businesses are getting on board.…In conjunction with Buncombe County voters and members of Raleigh-based lobbying group Common Cause North Carolina, the mayor will discuss how gerrymandering splits Asheville voters and advocate for nonpartisan districting…Mayor Esther Manheimer pointed to the Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority's recent commitment to long-term planning around hotel occupancy taxes as a key factor in her support for the project.…“This may hurt some feelings, but you can no longer operate the city of Asheville like it’s the Oprah Winfrey talk show, where you get a car and you get…
- "Whether people use or care about the use of cannabis products for entertainment and enjoyment, it’s helpful to see how less frantic, media-controlled people live with its existence.""Why should we continue to gain our astrological insight from the heavy-handed authority of Rob Brezsny?""This amazing trip is a huge undertaking for teachers and staff, but it is a labor of love, one that the school community embraces and feels is a necessary learning…ASHEVILLE, N.C."Oversight in this kind of system — where the board is appointed by a body with no regulatory authority, in a process closed to school employees, families and the community…ASHEVILLE, N.C.