- A new form of entertainment has arrived in Asheville where small groups of people pay to be locked in a room filled with puzzles and clues that may facilitate their…American Folk Art compiled a “gift closet” stocked with special works from the 40 artists who the gallery showcases. The show opens for Black Friday, Nov. 27, at 10 a.m.The memoir Approaching Ali is a collection of vignettes covering 27 years of friendship and even further back. Author Davis Miller will launch his book at Malaprop's Tuesday, Dec. 1.The musicians’ minimalist live sound — “two voices, a guitar and some beat,” according to an online bio — returns to 5 Walnut Wednesday, Dec. 2, from 5-7 p.m.Dapper and diabolical master of ceremonies Onkel Woland is part of variety show Asheville Vaudeville, which returns to Toy Boat Community Art Space Saturday, Nov. 28 for a night of…The Ooga Booga Shooga Giving Thanks Family Reunion Shows mini-tour stops at New Mountain Saturday, Nov. 28, at 8 p.m., with Piper Street Sound and Free Radio opening and Futexture…The local world music outfit has outgrown its popular spot at 5 Walnut. The move to The Millroom triples capacity and promises room for dancing.Check out Messick’s album Hammered Dulcimer Christmas for a glimpse at the multitude of holiday-themed tunes he’ll perform live at White Horse Black Mountain Friday and Saturday, Nov. 27 and…
- From goose barnacles to puffer fish, Asheville chefs crave some crazy stuff.Back of House is a new monthly column from former Xpress Beer Scout writer Thom O'Hearn profiling local chefs and brewers.
- For Western North Carolina residents with chronic health problems, help is nearby. Mars Hill resident Peggy McConnell has several chronic conditions, including atrial fibrillation, which wakes her up in the night. Although she is receiving…
- Asheville-set satirical web comedy "Transplanting" holds a free holiday party at The Mothlight and the new sci-fi/horror series "Monster of the Week" seeks area writers.
- Robin Reeves is the sixth generation to grow up on her family’s Madison County farm — a lineage that dates back to before the Civil War. Reeves spent much of…BY HEATHER WOOD BUZZARD November marks the tail end of “’sang” season, but relics of the harvest time remain: hand-scrawled signs declaring “Will Buy Ginseng – No License Needed” and…In order to help you navigate your way through this busy season we will be sharing a roundup of holiday oriented events every week until the new year. This is…The Golden Fleece: Slow Earth Kitchen brings Greek cuisine to Asheville this winter. Meanwhile, Rhubarb's chef John Fleer is planning a collaborative holiday dinner;After more than two decades, the NCDOT is getting the ball rolling on the I-26 connector project. And though actual construction is still years away, the next few weeks are…Thanksgiving can be a heartwarming holiday full of good food and family. But kitchen calamities, unruly house guests, uncooperative appliances and other snafus can sometimes conspire to dim Thanksgiving Day's…“There are many people looking for things to do that day for whom Black Friday is completely out of the question,” says RiverLink’s Dave Russell. “For them, fresh air, exhilaration…
- "Turns out, unfortunately, I need a witness after all. ""I personally find naming things after those who donate to be a reflection of the honor and thanks we have for the people who are not only able but willing…"Speaking for myself and probably lots of other people, I would feel safer dining in a place that does not allow guns."" I don't want to leave “Beer City USA” markets with a German six-pack in hand!""While the utility has reduced the overall size of the proposed natural gas plant, it has also issued a warning: Unless something changes in Western North Carolina, Duke will need…"To paint all people not native to this area with the proverbial broad brush is insulting and narrow-minded.""This is a crisis of epic sadness that a city that supports tourism is not willing to support its residents!"