There is no shortage of holiday events in Western North Carolina in the coming weeks! Asheville has everything ranging from holiday craft shows to volunteering opportunities to theater productions. In order to help you navigate your way through this busy season we will be sharing a roundup of holiday oriented events every week until the new year. This is the roundup for Wednesday, Nov. 25 through Thursday, Dec. 3.
Deck the Trees Benefit
• TH (12/3) through TH (12/31) – Proceeds from this exhibition of decorated Christmas trees benefit the Swannanoa Valley Christian Ministries. Opening party: Dec. 3, 6-8pm. Awarding of prizes for trees: Dec. 18, 6-8:30pm. Free to attend. Held at Monte Vista Hotel, 308 W. State St., Black Mountain
Full Circle Farm Thanksgiving Soul-food Benefit
• TH (11/26), 5pm – Proceeds from this vegan Thanksgiving buffet benefit Full Circle Farm Sanctuary. $30/$15 children under 13. Held at The BLOCK Off Biltmore, 39 South Market St.
Haywood Street Respite Holiday Dinner Benefit
• TU (12/1) – 6-9:30pm – Proceeds from this holiday dinner at Catawba Brewing with French Broad Chocolate Lounge benefit Haywood Street Respite. $100. Held at Catawba Brewing South Slope, 32 Banks Ave., Suite 105
N.C. Arboretum Winter Lights
• SU (11/20) – SA (1/2), 6-10pm – Proceeds from this walking tour of the holiday animated light display benefit N.C. Arboretum programs, exhibits, and facilities year-round. $18/$16 children. Held at N.C. Arboretum, 100 Frederick Law Olmsted Way
CLASSES, MEETINGS & EVENTS
Asheville History Center
• TH (12/3) & FR (12/4), 6-8:30pm – After hours holiday tours of the Smith McDowell house. Registration required. $25/$10 under 18. Held at Smith-McDowell House Museum, 283 Victoria Road
Carl Sandburg Home
1928 Little River Road, Flat Rock, 693-4178, nps.gov/carl
• SA (11/28), 10am-1pm – “Christmas at Connemara,” dulcimer music, craft making, storytelling by Black Feather and sing-a-longs. $5.
Love lights Celebration of Remembrance
• TH (12/3), 6:30pm – Holiday remembrance ceremony for loved ones taken by cancer with choral music and candles. Free to attend. Held at Cancer Care of WNC, 428 Biltmore Ave.
Big Sandy Mush Thanksgiving Dance
• SA (11/28), 7-11pm – Proceeds from this family-friendly contra dance benefit the Big Sandy Mush Community Center. $7. Held at Big Sandy Mush Community Center, 90 School Road, Leicester
Black Mountain Neuro Medical Treatment Center
932 Old U.S. Highway 70, Black Mountain
• TH (12/3), 3:30pm – Annual holiday parade with over 30 entries including the Owen marching band and floats. Free.
Fletcher Community Park
85 Howard Gap Road, Fletcher
• TH (12/3), 6pm – Lighting of the Fletcher Christmas tree, visits with Santa and refreshments. Free.
Hendersonville Historic Courthouse Square
1 Historic Courthouse Square, Hendersonville, 697-4809
• FR (11/27), 5:30pm – Holiday tree lighting. Free to attend.
Lake Julian Festival of Lights
• TH (12/3), 6-8pm – Walking tour of Lake Julian’s holiday lights. $5/Free for children. Held at Lake Julian Park, 406 Overlook Road Ext., Arden
Care Partners Foundation
• FR (11/27) through TH (12/24) – Volunteers needed for gift wrap station at Asheville Outlets. Registration required.
100 Frederick Law Olmsted Way, 665-2492, ncarboretum.org
• Through SA (1/2) – Hundreds of volunteers needed for the Winter Lights exhibit through SA (1/2) from 5:30-10pm nightly. Register online: ncwinterlights.org
81 South Lexington Ave., 348-8427
• SA (11/28), noon-6pm – Holiday Ornament exhibition. 5% of proceeds will be donated to Irene Wortham Center. Free to attend.
Living Web Farms
176 Kimzey Road, Mills River, 505-1660, livingwebfarms.org
• TU (12/1), 6:30pm – “Make It, Don’t Buy It! A Skill Share Event,” holiday crafting event.
Free to attend.
ARTS & CRAFTS FAIRS
16 Andrews Ave. S., 622-4573, facebook.com/ArtiSunGallery
• SA (11/28), noon-7pm – Holiday open house with local arts, crafts, food and books. Free to attend.
Hard Candy Christmas
• FR (11/27) & SA (11/28), 10am-5pm – “Hard Candy Christmas Arts & Crafts Show,” with 100 regional artists. $4.50. Held at the WCU Ramsey Center.
Henderson County Curb Market
221 N. Church St., Hendersonville, 692-8012, curbmarket.com
• SA (11/28), 8am-2pm – Holiday market with Christmas wreaths, fresh greenery, crafts, demonstrations, music, carriage rides and refreshments. Free to attend.
Fletcher Community Chorus
• TH (12/3), 7pm – “Welcome the Holidays,” choral music. Free to attend. Held at the Opportunity House, 1411 Asheville Hwy, Hendersonville
Caldwell Community College
2855 Hickory Blvd., Hudson, 726-2200, cccti.edu
• TH (12/3) through SA (12/5), 7:30pm – The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, presented by Foothills Performing Arts. $16.25/$9 students and children.
Immediate Theatre Project
239-0263 ext. 140, new.immediatetheatre.org
• WE (11/25), 8pm – Live From WVL Radio: It’s A Wonderful Life. $20/$15 advance. Held at Isis Restaurant and Music Hall, 743 Haywood Road
Read It & Weep Repertory Theatre
682-7209, burnsvilletowncenter.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
• FR (11/27), 10:30am – The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t. $10/door/$2 kids. Held at Burnsville Town Center, 6 Main St., Burnsville
The Magnetic Theatre
375 Depot St., 279-4155
• THURSDAYS through SATURDAYS (12/3) through (12/19), 7:30pm – The 42nd Annual Bernstein Family Christmas Spectacular! $18-$23.