- The inaugural Asheville Amadeus Festival — which runs March 17-22 — sees the Asheville Symphony Orchestra team up not only with Highland Brewing Co., but also with local groups ranging…The anniversary edition launches at Malaprop's on Friday, March 13, at 7 p.m. The publication's editor and contributors will read at the free event.Alejandro Cartagena, a Dominican-born and Monterrey, Mexico-based artist, will give a lecture discussing his work at the UNC Asheville Humanities Lecture Hall on Tuesday, March 17.“I wanted to use the arts to bring diverse communities together, so we could share our likenesses instead of our differences,” says Joseph Robinson, organizer of Tales on Market Street.The multigenerational family band from Virginia — currently touring in support of its 2014 full-length album — employs a diverse lineup of instruments as a point of pride.Fronted by former Asheville resident Will Bradford, SeepeopleS returns to the city with a show at Asheville Music Hall on Friday, March 13.A troupe of Jerusalem Garden's regular performers will soon have a slew of new objects to maneuver — snakes, scarves, swords and sitars to name a few.
- Local food trucks get ready for battle, Appalachian Vintner helps raise money for a local child undergoing cancer treatments and Highland Brewing Co. pairs food with brews for its new…Local Flavor AVL co-founder Flori Pate recently launched a new project aimed at community progress through collaboration. Food Connection, which consolidates hunger and food waste by redirecting surplus edibles, will…A century ago, French suburbanites favored spending lazy weekend days relaxing at outdoor drinking establishments called guinguettes. Now, veteran Asheville restaurateurs Cecilia Marchesini and Stephane Diaz are reinventing this concept…
- Xpress corresponded with AskLizze founder Liz Cox, and Sangha Shabda vocalists Jojo Silverman and Aditi Sethi-Brown about Kirtan with Sangha Shabda, part of musical series Open to the One.When Kim Brophey was a kid, she was fascinated by Lassie, the collie who wowed TV audiences for decades with her intelligence and heroic rescues. These days Brophey, who owns…First Congregational United Church of Christ of Hendersonville’s congregation is on a mission to find a way to get as far off the grid as possible.
- Students in UNC Asheville’s chapter of the American Meteorological Society use real-world experience, integrated with social media and technology, to feed their love for all things weather-related. There are weather…
- "Congratulations to Mr. Sites for all his hard work to regain his health, especially the willingness to be an empowered medical consumer.""What is seen on Interstates 240 and 40 is against the law and dangerous.""To be able to offer that experience right in the heart of the RAD would be wonderful for locals as well as tourists.""The French Broad River already has a documented turbidity problem, among other issues, and it will be impacted by this atrocity.""I am glad for Margaret Williams' reporting on the Sierra Club's study citing Duke Energy for unsafe sulfur dioxide emission."“We need to educate people to understand that plants can, indeed, take care of themselves without people getting in the way,” asserts Elaine Ingham, an iconic figure in organic farming…