- Like the event's name, the entertainment lineup pays homage to the musical legacy of the Big Easy, with jazzy performances by Pamela Jones, Empire Strikes Brass, Bronze + Ebony Dance…Americana duo Tia McGraff and Tommy Parham perform a n afternoon set at Jack of the Wood on Wednesday, Aug. 5.A Dolly Parton-themed print exhibition featuring the work of 35 artists will be on display at Asheville BookWorks through Saturday, Aug. 29.Bishopville, S.C.-based Flossie Boyd Johnson & Favor perform at The Double Crown on Thursday, July 30, as part of the venue's monthly soul gospel night.Skylar Gudasz and Luke Norton open for the orchestral pop outfit at the Mothlight on Tuesday, Aug. 4, at 9:30 p.m.The free LEAF Downtown AVL festival, held Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 1 and 2, features high-profile performers like Bootsy Collins' Rubber Band and Red Baraat. There are also many local…California-based kid-hop artist (and former Ashevillean) Secret Agent 23 Skidoo will be backed by Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band for an Aug. 1 show at The Orange Peel.In New Terrain, an exhibition currently on view at Blue Spiral 1, the sculptures of Hoss Haley and Robyn Horn suggest the structural underpinnings of a landscape in their geometry,…Theatrical startup the Cardboard Sea debuts "If You Must" at the Magnetic Theatre on Thursday, July 30 at 7:30 p.m., and Friday July 31, and Saturday, Aug. 1, at 7:30…
- Buxton Hall Barbecue — a dream project for chef Elliott Moss — has been in the works for more than a year. Now, after months of popup teasers with a…Two up-and-coming cidermakers are preparing to open local taprooms.
- Whether it's getting centered with an abdominal massage or allowing gravity to ground you while someone stands barefoot on your back, Asheville has a multitude of massage options.
- Outdoor and adventure art-themes 5Point Film Festive comes to Asheville in August and a number of free screenings are scheduled around WNC.
- "We must address the housing crisis now, before it’s too late. I believe this can be done by requiring employers to pay their employees a living wage — which, like…On a cool, foggy July morning, more than 300 children bustle past a row of blooming sunflowers and into Hall Fletcher Elementary as teachers hand out new pencils, the principal…"First, in our market of skyrocketing property values, we must acknowledge the need for some amount of subsidy to fill the gap between low-wage workers’ ability to pay rent or…Sixteen candidates have officially thrown their hats into the ring for the Asheville City Council elections this fall. Each week, Xpress will introduce, in brief, four candidates’ backgrounds and ideas…"The free market isn’t good at providing housing for low- to moderate-income folks. ... For builders, a lower-cost home is almost always a lower-profit home.""We believe that a rigorous case-by-case evaluation and review of proposals and programs by groups that are on the front lines of the problem is the best way to reduce…With the opening of its third Asheville-area tearoom, Dobra proves that WNC is developing a love for tea."Safe, affordable housing is a step toward opportunity and success but not the final destination. It’ll take accessory units, manufactured homes, cooperatives, land banks, increased density, small homes and apartments…Forget “Keep Asheville Weird.” For many locals, the motto might as well be: “Make Asheville Affordable.”What does a drought in California have to do with Western North Carolina? Local experts say that the situation holds lessons for food systems throughout the country, including how to…A new vegan lunch service opens in August, Farm Burger hosts a raffle to benefit ASAP and five local restaurants win recognition from Wine Spectator magazine. Plus food writer Jonathan…
- "Personally, I don't think we should have horses pulling people around at all in our animal-loving city, but until such time as a horse carriage ban is enacted, horses should not…"Oh, excuse me; it's all about 'humane' slaughter, so it's OK.""With some encouragement, we should be leading the way into tech energy for considerable profit and benefit.""Beside the cruelty of what actually happens there, slaughterhouses are dangerous for workers and pollute our environment.""I seriously doubt that the [short-term rentals] in the city of Asheville are eroding the quality of life here as there have not been hundreds upon hundreds of police reports…"I say, if we want to feed the tourists red meat, then let’s put the slaughterhouse on Pack Square — with lots of windows and tours on the hour.""Yet just because farm animals are not like us, we rob them of their sentience and call their slaughter 'art.'""Every day, our case managers work to find safe, affordable places for our clients to live. Now, however, we simply cannot find those homes.""I did consider one silver lining after reading Mountain Xpress' article on the vapor inhalation trend — perhaps the number of butts being tossed to the ground on an endless…"For most people, there truly is a disconnect with what they put in their mouth and their core values."