- Since moving to Asheville, Miller has been producing storytelling events and open mic nights focused on the spoken word, which he defines as storytelling, poetry, monologues, comedy, and any other…The rapper/producer discusses the appeals of performing with a band and shares his thoughts on Detroit's current hip-hop scene.The opening event for the Asheville painter's solo show, "Love Letter to Appalachia," takes place August 4 at the Stand Gallery.Three finalists were recently selected, including Jefferson Pinder; the team of Monique Luck, Flavia Lovatelli and Francisco Gonzalez; and the team of Amir Shakir and Ivette Cabrera.Backed by Phan’s band The Soul Symphony, the Asheville musicians play a collaborative show July 28 at The Grey Eagle.The eclectic pop rockers play Salvage Station on July 27.The local “shred ‘n’ flow” ensemble plays Asheville Music Hall on July 27.Poet Radio has a show at Fleetwoods in West Asheville on Friday, July 20 — its last local appearance before a run of live dates up north and in the…
- Local brewery and cidery sales reps discuss the ins and outs of their jobs.The enigmatic nightshade vegetable is a summer favorite for local chefs and farmers.Tupelo Honey is set to roll out its new downtown expansion. Also: WNC Battle of the Burger returns; Foraging Dinner series continues at Nightbell; AVLCakeLady and The Ettison Group present:…
- Local farmers find another revenue stream in cultivating plants for seed.The first fundraising and outreach event for Western North Carolina's nonprofit diaper bank takes place July 29 at Wedge at Foundation.
- Gus Cutty and the Grail join forces for a hip-hop film series, Upstairs Art Gallery and the Tryon Theatre present a documentary on artist David Hockney and more.
- Prior to the formation of the Asheville Fire Department in 1882, residents and business owners had only themselves and their neighbors to rely on.Aja Cobbs feels fortunate to have her father as a role model. “My father owns his own business; I have a role model to inspire me to be an entrepreneur,”…Family members who depend on Heritage Adult Day Retreat in Burnsville to provide a safe, stimulating daytime environment for loved ones with disabilities and dementia face a potential interruption or…Gaia Herbs announced a 140,000-square-foot expansion in Mills River, the Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce launched a regional analysis to study workforce and employment challenges in Buncombe and nine other…Located on Amboy Road between Carrier Park and the French Broad River Park, the new Karen Cragnolin Park — named for RiverLink founder Karen Cragnolin — will connect the parkway…July marks the 20-year anniversary of the unsolved arson that nearly destroyed one of Asheville’s historic landmarks.On July 19, the Asheville Planning and Zoning Commission approved a rezoning request against the recommendation of city staff that would allow two properties on Maxwell Street to serve as…Buncombe County is one step closer to recouping the money it claims was misappropriated by former County Manager Wanda Greene and her son, Michael Greene, who served as a county…
- "He is sincere and dedicated to decency, fairness, honesty and to representing common people.""Most urgently, gentrification is creating a demand for buildable lots and houses within the city limits that is invading our historic African-American neighborhoods and displacing lifelong residents who have been…"When local workers can’t find housing they can afford and our less fortunate population — including families with children — is one rent check away from living on the street,…"When you visit a honey-tasting shop, local record store or family farm, know that your support helps us to thrive and live our passions here in Asheville."