- The exhibition, Private Domain, remains on display at S. Tucker Cooke Gallery, on the first floor of UNCA’s Owen Hall, through Friday, March 4.METAL opens for the untamed instrumental band at The Mothlight on Tuesday, March 1.The song “Truck Stop Stars” from her new album, Carnival of Hopes, is about a woman leaving a mountain town to cross the U.S. “To me, it foreshadowed my own…The modern jazz trio plays Isis Restaurant & Music Hall's upstairs lounge on Sunday, Feb. 28.“A lot of people make a blues connection to that music, but what I'm attracted to in all of that is the groove,” says Reed Turchi. Hooks and melody are…Pre-teen fiddler Rhiannon Ramsey and her bandmates play Fletcher's The Feed and Seed on Friday, Feb. 26.Popular play The Vagina Monoluges covers "all the weird things we have to go through as women," according to show organizer Allison Taylor. Her cast of local volunteers talks gender…Frontman Spencer Taylo and his bandmates bring their soulful singing to The Double Crown on Thursday, Feb. 25.
- Local catering companies are creating memories by using culinary and cocktail ingenuity.A black tea made from the yaupon holly, the only known caffeinated plant indigenous to North America, is creeping onto Asheville store shelves and coffee shop menus.The Local Barber and Tap provides haircuts and old-fashioned shoeshines along with a taproom pouring local craft brews.Food Connection's largest fundraiser of the year is a music sampling of Western North Carolina; Catawba Brewing Co., serves up a beer-filled brunch to take the edge off winter; The…
- To save a life, Julia Killen endured six hours with each arm stuck with two needles that drew cells from her bone marrow. While the process involved some discomfort and inconvenience,…
- Two documentaries on extreme runners and the Tarahumara Indians, plus a benefit screening for Homeward Bound of WNC.
- When most people think of farming, their thoughts turn to rows of neatly planted produce or herds of beefy cattle, but likely not to what Tim Birthisel, proprietor of Terra…A year ago, Natalie Izlar felt herself drowning in responsibilities. “It was really stressful, because we were told colleges were looking at our extracurricular activities as well as our GPA…Few crops have been as central to North Carolina’s economy and culture — or as controversial — as tobacco. Historically, its high market value and the relative ease of growing…As a result of a 2013 lawsuit from Mecklenburg and Durham County voters, hundreds of Buncombe County residents are changing representation between the 10th and 11th Congressional Districts.
- "Along with the other local movie critics, Ken raved about the worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life, and that covers about seven decades.""I suspect this is a deliberate practice designed to deny BCBSNC customers the medications they need while their appeals are processed. In the meantime, Blue Cross saves huge sums of…"Perhaps the most exciting event ever to take place at the Sky Club was when Robert Mitchum came to town to star in Thunder Road. The whole town was star-struck,…"The mean-spirited abuse hurled at college students and professors alike reflects a dying political paradigm coupled with a fear of the young."