- The soul-searching and beat-savvy four-song collection came out of four- or five-day writing and recording session. Spaceman Jones and Chachillie perform a show at The Odditorium on Saturday, Jan. 21.Turchi headed back to his roots, recording Tallahatchie, a solo record in the truest sense of the word. “The only sort of natural and right thing to do musically —…"I've gathered together contestants from the burlesque, dance and comedy world in Asheville to compete against each other in what I hope to be a sexy, silly competition," Kathleen Hahn…Artist Elizabeth Porritt Carrington speaks of the powerful influence of grief on her journey as an artist.The soulful Americana songstress plays with Old Man Luedecke at The Grey Eagle on Saturday, Jan. 7.It’s a romping, riotous 90-minute staging for all ages, rife with puns and subtle references to other famed Broadway shows. Performances will take place at 35below on Fridays and Saturdays,…In addition to performances by The Moon and You and Rob Nance and the Lost Souls, an upcoming benefit for the ACLU will include three literary readings by A.C. Reynolds…
- A recent blind tasting organized by the French Broad Vignerons proved that North Carolina wines are on par with similar vintages from Napa Valley, France and Spain.Since its debut a decade ago, Winter Warmer has established itself as one of the foremost beer festivals in Western North Carolina. And with its focus on sturdy, warming brews,…Gluttony reigns supreme at Champlain, Buxton Hall's latest pop-up event. Also, Mike Ferrari leads cooking classes at The Farm, Fletcher hosts its 16th annual chili cook-off, Ask Hendersonville offers a…
- Affecting more than 600,000 women each year, postpartum depression is veiled by stigma and taboo that have only just begun to be lifted, according to local medical providers.
- “Moonlight” wins SEFCA’s Best Film of 2016 award and the submission deadline approaches for Twin Rivers Media Festival.
- With game design education programs on the rise at local community colleges and UNC Asheville, and with technical innovations like increased bandwidth and virtual reality on the horizon, could this…“We’re suffering greatly,” says Kim Cason, who owns and operates The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant in Chimney Rock with her husband, Don Cason. During Veterans Day weekend last year, the…
- "The reason I think your decision was poor is that, presented as it is, in direct quotes, it can be easily misconstrued by those with hate in their hearts ...…"And although it might not seem significant, indeed it is! It means we as a city are deciding to invest in our fellow Ashevilleans’ safety and peace of mind.""An open mind is important but must be balanced with healthy skepticism and critical thinking.""Building ADUs to rent to tourists will ultimately increase the city’s long-term housing stock at no cost to taxpayers."