- Ashes & Dust, out July 24, is widely being described as Warren Haynes' “Americana album.” But attempting to pin the record down to a single genre — however stylistically inclusive…With its pop-up performances, collaborative artist workshops and a large-scale puppet show by Madison J. Cripps and Keith Shubert, this fundraiser will give attendees a taste of Fringe Arts Festival…On tour in support of new album Ol Glory, JJ Grey & Mofro play the Pisgah Brewing Co. outdoor stage on Friday, July 10.The artisan wine and cheese industries in Western North Carolina are experiencing a major growth spurt as increasing numbers of entrepreneurs seek out careers in these fields."The mission of MOTION is really to allow the choreographers a chance to experiment," says Nick Kepley, founder and artistic director of MOTION Dance Theatre. Trying new things is exactly…New-to-Asheville sextet Holy Ghost Tent Revival covers Beck's 1999 album Midnite Vultures at the Mothlight on Saturday, June 11, at 9:30.In many ways, Jacob Blankenship is a typical 23-year-old: He likes video games and anime, and he works part time at Pizza Hut. But one look at Blankenship’s sketchbook reveals…Morgan Geer, leader and core member of folk-rock-noir outfit Drunken Prayer, to Asheville on Friday, July 10, for a pre-album release show at The Mothlight. New effort The Devil &…Hosted by exotic local clothier Royal Peasantry, Ritual Runway takes place at New Mountain on Friday, July 10, at 7 p.m.The Big Crafty, Asheville’s biannual craft marketplace, will feature more than 150 artists selling their wares on Sunday, July 12, in the indoor-outdoor space of Pack Square and the Asheville…Wild Goose Festival is a spiritually-charged four-day gathering held in Hot Springs from Thursday to Sunday, July 9-12.
- Insects may make more people cringe than salivate, but some Ashevilleans aren't afraid to add them to the menu.Cold-brew coffee isn’t difficult to make, but it takes time and patience. As outdoor temperatures rise, local baristas work to keep up with demand.
- YogaFest organizers hope to make Asheville a yogic destination by offering the premier yoga festival in the Southeast. Festival director Mike Hiers plans to create “a boutique, intimate and serious…Mediation promotes wellness by helping people resolve conflicts and relieve stress. The nonprofit Mediation Center serving WNC counties offers a safe and neutral environment for people in conflict to discover…
- This week's roundup includes summer film series and special screenings. There's also a locally scored showing of David Lynch’s Eraserhead.
- Traffic along many of Asheville's major corridors has decreased in recent years, figures from the N.C. Department of Transportation reveal. DOT officials say that’s due to the Great Recession, but…Longtime West End Bakery pastry chef Meg Schearer starts her own business, local chefs join the 2015 Competition Dining Series, Green Opportunities holds an open house and the Pisgah Field…
- "It is worthy of note that now, in 2015, America the Beautiful is under full assault from within.""My overwhelming feeling is one of utter frustration whenever I think about ['Obamacare.'] ""The area is now so expensive and gentrified on its own appeal and expanding population that implicating Airbnb is a convenient exaggeration to justify intervention.""Water fluoridation is an inexpensive means of improving oral health that benefits all residents of a community, young and old, rich and poor alike.""Maybe the two local country clubs could open [their golf courses] to the riffraff once a week, or the Grove Park Inn could run a Tuesday Plebeian Special. And the…"This is a pristine, historic family farm that a developer is proposing to put under high-end housing in a community that is already struggling with insufficient farmland.""Wake up, people. All of you who believe in CO2-caused 'climate change' are scientifically naïve and are being played for suckers by the controlling mafia that runs the world."