DEVELOPING NEWS: According to a press release from the Southern Environmental Law Center, the U.S. Forest Service has proposed opening a 700,000-acre chunk of Pisgah National Forest to a logging program.
This is for real, and it could have a huge impact on the region. Pisgah National Forest is nationally recognized as an outdoor destination with hundreds of miles of hiking and biking trails, among other beautiful natural attractions.
If this issue gets you fired up, as it does for me, you can take action by emailing at NCplanrevision@fs.fed.us. The Forest Service will also hold a public meeting with opportunities for public questions and comments at the McDowell Technical Community College in Marion today, Thursday, Nov. 13.
OK, now on to the goodies for this weekend. First off, tonight REI is hosting a GoPro Video Editing Basics course. You can finally create that sweet promo vid you’ve always wanted and add in some dubstep and slow-mo shots like 99 percent of the GoPro videos out there. Seriously though, if you’re looking to attend, be sure to sign up at REI.com, bring a laptop and have the GoPro video software already installed.
We’ve got a few cross races happening this weekend. Saturday is Race #6 in the MSG Series and will be hosted at Mars Hill University in Mars Hill. Also on Saturday is the North Carolina State Cyclocross Championships in Durham followed by race #7 of the series on Sunday in Raleigh.
There is a gnarly 2-day trail stage race in Pisgah Forest this weekend, the Veni Vidi Vici. The phrase “veni, vidi, vici” is used to refer to a swift, conclusive victory — I came, I saw, I conquered. You can pretty much count on anything but that if you plan to participate. I know these trails and what the elevation is like, it’s not swift. Runners are sure to encounter multiple mental demons and tests of human durability. There will be crashing (yes, you can crash while running). There will be suffering.
In honor of Veterans Day, the ABCCM 5k Dog Tag Dash is taking place this Saturday. Each participant in this event will be running for a veteran, pretty cool. Prior to the race, registered participants will receive a packet including a bio of the veteran you are running for.
There are a few nice hikes going on this weekend as well. The Asheville Hiking Group will be leading hikes on Friday and Sunday, see hike details below. It also looks like the WNC easy hikers will be headed to Montreat for a nice trek on Sunday.
Lastly, if you’re looking to get in on some Ultimate Frisbee, link up with Asheville Ultimate on Sundays for pick-up games. This week they’ll be playing at Memorial Stadium from 1-3 p.m.
That’s it! Be sure to write the National Forest Service with your comments, and most importantly, make sure you get outside!
If you have an event or outdoor activity that you would like to see posted, just let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- 11/15 — MSG #6: Mars Hill Cyclocross (Mars Hill, NC) More Info
- 11/15 — NC Cyclocross Series – NCCX #6 : State Championships! (Durham, NC) More Info
- 11/15 — Liberty Bikes – Saturday Bent Creek MTB Rides Beginner & Intermediate (Every Saturday) More Info
- 11/15 — Blue Ridge Bicycle Club Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 11/15 — Sycamore Cycles Spin & Grin Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 11/16 — NC Cyclocross Series – NCCX #7 (Raleigh, NC) More Info
- 11/15 & 11/16 — Veni Vidi Vici: 2 Day Pisgah Trail Race (Asheville, NC) More Info
- 11/15 — ABCCM 5K Dog Tag Dash “Run for a Veteran” (Asheville, NC) More Info
- 11/15 — Asheville Track Club Saturday Group Run (Every Saturday) Contact information: 828-273-8860 or email@example.com
- 11/15 — Jus’ Running Saturday- Morning Group Run (Every Saturday) More Info
- 11/14 — Asheville Hiking Group -Panthertown 6 -8 mi Exploratory (Meet @ Ingles Long Shoals) More Info
- 11/16 — Asheville Hiking Group – Art Loeb Trail – 8.8 mi Stren/Moderate (Meet @ Ingles Long Shoals) More Inf0
- 11/16 — WNC Easy Hikers – Walker’s Knob @ Montreat! (Montreat, NC) More Info