Things have settled down a bit this week, and it feels like we are heading into a nice routine. There are still some really good things happening, and I encourage you all to take advantage of these wonderful opportunities.
TONIGHT! REI is hosting a Bike Maintenance Basics class. If you ride a bike on a somewhat regular basis, this could be an extremely useful class, saving you a lot of time and headache in the future. This class is an informative presentation that will teach you how to lube a chain, fix a flat tire in record time and make other minor adjustments to your bicycle. No experience necessary. Participants do not need to bring their bikes for this class. Registration is required. Please register at REI.com.
Thankfully, a couple of the events from last weekend were RESCHEDULED due to the inclement weather. The Pumpkin Pedaller and the SuperHero 5k will both be this Saturday.
- The Asheville on Bikes Pumpkin Pedaller has been rescheduled for Saturday, Nov. 8, at 3 p.m. Riders will gather around 2:30 p.m. at Asheville City Hall in Pack Square. The weather is looking considerably better this weekend, so expect a big turnout and a grand time.
- The SuperHero 5k has also been rescheduled for Saturday, Nov. 8, at 3:30 p.m. Preregistration has been reopened and will close tonight. Same day registration is available. For more information please visit their website.
If you were unable to make the trip out to Brevard to catch the Redbull Dreamline BMX competition, you can still catch the acton this Saturday at 5 p.m. on NBC. Please note, this is an exception to the rule. In any other situation, I would advise against sitting in front of the stupid TV box. However, this was an amazing event hosted right in our backyard and hopefully is a preview of what’s to come for the cycling scene in WNC. I will forgive you — just this once.
If you want to get out of the house and into the woods on Saturday or Sunday, the Asheville Hiking Group is hosting a couple of solid hikes. Saturday it looks like they are headed to Caesars Head for a “strenuous” 12-mile rim hike. The describe it as, “VERY STRENUOUS! 3000-foot elevation change, WEAR GOOD TRACTION!! We will keep a brisk pace.” It looks like they are doing a slightly less strenuous hike in DuPost on the same day. Might be a little nicer for those trying to sweat out the booze from Friday night. On Sunday, they will be hosting a Jones Gap hike in South Carolina. It appears that they are limiting this to 12 hikers. According to the meet-up there will be a few more spots opening today. If you are interested, you might want to go ahead and grab a spot as soon as you can.
That’s it for this week. Might be a good time to catch up on that honey-do list or house chores, maybe hook up with your riding buddies and shoot out to Pisgah or Bent Creek. The weather is looking pretty fine, so make sure you get outside! Thanks for checking in!
If you have an event or outdoor activity that you would like to see posted, just let us know at email@example.com!
- 11/06 — REI Bicycle Maintenance Class (REI, Arden) More Info
- 11/08 — RAIN CHECK: 2014 Asheville on Bikes Pumpkin Pedaller (Asheville, SC) More Info
- 11/08 — Redbull Dreamline on TV (NBC, 5:00pm) More Info
- 11/09 — NC Cyclocross Series – NCCX #5 (Salisbury, NC) More Info
- 11/08 — Liberty Bikes – Saturday Bent Creek MTB Rides Beginner & Intermediate (Every Saturday) More Info
- 11/08 — Blue Ridge Bicycle Club Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 11/08 — Sycamore Cycles Spin & Grin Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 11/08 — Superhero 5k (Asheville, NC) More Info
- 11/08 — Asheville Track Club Saturday Group Run (Every Saturday) Contact information: 828-273-8860 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 11/08 — Jus’ Running Saturday- Morning Group Run (Every Saturday) More Info
- 11/08 — Asheville Hiking Group – Rim of the Gap 12 Miles (Meet @ Ingles of SMPWY) More Info
- 11/08 — Asheville Hiking Group – DuPont, Wintergreen Falls 9 mile (Meet @ Ingles Long Shoals) More Info
- 11/09 — Asheville Hiking Group – Jones Gap SP, SC plus Falls Creek Falls 8 Miles Strenuous (Meet @ Ingles Long Shoals) More Info