Bikes, bikes and more bikes! We’ve got a fantastic lineup of extraordinary cycling events for this weekend. There’s a little something for everyone.
TODAY -(10/9) at 3:45 p.m! Asheville Rides is gathering at the UNC Asheville Sherill Center for a leisurely social stroll through some of the city’s beautiful neighborhoods, including downtown. If I’m correct, I believe this will be the last Asheville Rides for the season. Today’s ride will finish at the Reed Creek ribbon cutting ceremony. Good stuff!
OK, holy smokes, this is nuts. Red Bull and Oskar Blues have teamed up and are hosting an amazing event out at Oskar Blues REEB Ranch in Brevard. It’s the Red Bull Dreamline BMX and Dirt Jump competition. Dubbed as “The ultimate BMX competition”, Red Bull Dreamline showcases the best of what BMX dirt competition can be. Prepare to see world class BMX and dirt jump riders pushing their limits in pursuit of the perfect line out at the new REEB Ranch.
Although not technically in Western NC, the NC Bike Summit will be taking place just down the road in Greensboro, NC. This is a great opportunity to hear bicycling activists and educators speak about a number of important topics including Innovative Outreach & Planning Techniques, The Value of Public-Private Partnerships, Bike-Sharing, How to Partner with Businesses and Bicycling Tourism.
Cycle to Farm hits the beautiful Sandy Mush community this weekend. These are fantastic rides, kept to fewer than 200 riders, that focus on showcasing the local community and the farms that drive agriculture in the area. As stated on their website: “The Sandy Mush location will provide participants with a tour of local farms by bicycle, stunning scenery of this beautiful area, tasty food samples crafted by the farms, and products for sale at every farm (including at the Finish, Addison Farms Vineyard). And, of course, the Fabulous After Party.” Did they say after party? I’ll bring the disco ball and hip beats.
We also have Asheville Cyclocross hosting a race at Pisgah Brewing this weekend, iDaph events hosting an off-road duathalon “Dig the Du” in Hendersonville and a Blue Ridge Pump track Challenge out at Industry Nine.
Check out this sweet vid by one of the founders of KOLO Bike Park, Ryan “Huh” Taylor, a true gentleman in his class and advocate of all things cycling.
Be sure to check the running section below for a handful of Autumn 5k’s and Half-Marathons — great stuff happening this weekend.
If you have an event or outdoor activity that you would like to see posted, just let us know at email@example.com!
- 10/9 — Asheville Rides (Social Ride) More Info
- 10/10 — 10/11 — Red Bull Dreamline (Brevard, NC) More Info
- 10/10 — 10/11 — North Carolina Bicycle Summit (Greensboro, NC) More Info
- 10/11 — Cycle to Farm Sandy Mush (Sandy Mush, NC) More Info
- 10/12 — Asheville Cyclocross at Pisgah Brewing (Black Mountain, NC) More Info
- 10/12 — Dig the Du & Kids Du 2 (Hendersonville, NC) More Info
- 10/12 — Blue Ridge Pump Track Challenge (Industry Nine – Asheville, NC) More Info
- 10/11 — Liberty Bikes – Saturday Bent Creek MTB Rides Beginner & Intermediate (Every Saturday) More Info
- 10/11 — Blue Ridge Bicycle Club Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 10/11 — Sycamore Cycles Spin & Grin Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 10/11 — Bethel Half and 5k (Canton, NC) More Info
- 10/11 — Mountain Splendor 5k (Black Mountain, NC) More Info
- 10/11 — Foot Rx 2014 Cross Country Series (Warren Wilson College) More Info
- 10/11 — Foilage 5k (Burnsville, NC) More Info
- 10/11 — Asheville Track Club Saturday Group Run (Every Saturday) Contact information: 828-273-8860 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 10/11 — Jus’ Running Saturday- Morning Group Run (Every Saturday) More Info
- 10/12 — Autumn Faire – The Odyssey 5k Costume Run (Asheville, NC) More Info