Despite the weather acting like a jerk this weekend, there are still some mighty fine events taking place. If you do plan on braving the cold, you have a rich selection of quality outdoor entertainment.
TONIGHT! There is an Asheville Bicycle & Pedestian Task Force meeting being held at Asheville Fire & Rescue Training Room 4th Floor. The address is 100 Court Plaza Asheville NC 28801, here’s a link to a map. These meetings are open to the public. Their vision is “for Asheville to be a community of connected pathways that is healthy, safe and accessible for people of all ages.” If you are curious about what actually happens in these meetings, take a look at the Minutes from last month.
ALSO TONIGHT! is Throwback Thursday at KOLO Bike Park. Remember, every Wednesday and Thursday, after 5 p.m., the price drops to a mere $5 for entry into a beautiful bike park, housing pump tracks, enduro-runs and dirt jumping.
We have some pretty major rides going down on Saturday and Sunday. Asheville on Bikes is leading the annual Pumpkin Pedaller Saturday afternoon. You can finally dress up in that Brett Michaels costume that’s been waiting in your closet! Here’s the deal: Pack a few road sodas, maybe a boom box, grab a costume, grab your bike and meet the rest of the humans down in Pack Square in front of the courthouse around 2:30 p.m. You might want to dress warm and consider bringing a fat bike though ’cause they’re calling for snow. Since when has snow ever stopped anything from happening in this town, anyway?
This Saturday also marks the first annual Bookwalter Binge Gran Fondo. This is a charity road bike ride starting in Black Mountain, offering 83, 30 or 6.7-mile courses. The ride is hosted by Asheville’s own Brent Bookwalter, who, if you did not know, is an accomplished professional cyclist, having competed in several Grand Tours including the Giro and the Tour de France. He is a multi-time national champion and nothing short of a world class athlete. I recommend not challenging him on anything with two wheels.
Blue Ridge Adventures is having their annual end of the season throw-down this weekend with two monster mountain bike races. The Couch Potato is on Saturday and is the shorter of the two events clocking in at around 25 miles (that’s Pisgah miles, not your fluffy smooth easy single track miles). Following the Potato, Sunday is the long-running Swank 65. This is one of the trademark mountain bike races in Pisgah Forest. With a few gravel grinder climbs, technical descents and a visit to Farlow Gap, this event will put you to the test physically and mentally. Last time I checked, there were still slots available for both of these rides.
For those who prefer to hit the trail without a bike, well, we have something for you too. The ever-popular Shut-In trail race is also Saturday. Starting down in Bent Creek, this trail run treks close to 18 miles and finishes in the Mt. Pisgah parking lot. Yes, you run your ass up to Mt. Pisgah from the river. There’s no downhill in this run, folks. It’s a one-way ticket to the pain cave, and you don’t get a flashlight. Good luck; good night.
On a lighter note, also happening Saturday is the Superhero 5k. If you’re still up and sporting your superhero costume from the night before, you may as well fly over to the Millroom around 4:30 p.m. and get in on this action. Hosted by Asheville Pizza & Brewing, this sounds like a fun little 5k that picks its way through downtown Asheville and the surrounding hoods. Proceeds got to local charities.
That’s it for this week. Thanks for checking in and make sure you get outside this weekend!
If you have an event or outdoor activity that you would like to see posted, just let us know at email@example.com!
- 10/30 — Asheville Bicycle & Pedestrian Task Force Meeting (Downtown, AVL) More Info
- 10/30 — Kolo Thursday Throwback (Asheville, NC) More Info
- 11/01 — 2014 Asheville on Bikes Pumpkin Pedaller (Asheville, SC) More Info
- 11/01 — Bookwalter Binge (Black Mountain, NC) More Info
- 11/01 — Blue Ridge Adventures Couch Potato (Brevard, NC) More Info
- 11/02 — Blue Ridge Adventures Swank 65 (Brevard, NC) More Info
- 11/02 — NC Cyclocross Series – NCCX #4 (Boone, NC) More Info
- 11/01 — Liberty Bikes – Saturday Bent Creek MTB Rides Beginner & Intermediate (Every Saturday) More Info
- 11/01 — Blue Ridge Bicycle Club Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 11/01 — Sycamore Cycles Spin & Grin Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 11/01 — Shut-In Trail Race (Asheville, NC) More Info
- 11/01 — Superhero 5k (Asheville, NC) More Info
- 11/01 — Asheville Track Club Saturday Group Run (Every Saturday) Contact information: 828-273-8860 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 11/01 — Jus’ Running Saturday- Morning Group Run (Every Saturday) More Info
- 10/31 — Asheville Hiking Group – Ghosts of Greenbriar (Meet @ Ingles of SMPWY) More Info
- 11/01 — Asheville Hiking Group – Jones Gap SP, SC plus Falls Creek Falls 8 Miles Strenuous (Meet @ Ingles Long Shoals) More Info
- 11/02 — Asheville Hiking Group – Daniel Ridge to Farlow Gap 8 miles Strenuous (Meet @ Ingles Long Shoals) More Info