Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Burial Beer Co. releases its latest batch of Shadowclock Pilsner on Friday, Dec. 9, at the brewery. This traditional, unfiltered Bohemian-style lager, dry-hopped with Sterling and Tettnanger, will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans and will reach distribution at specialty retailers.
- Burial releases three small-batch beers on draft this week. On Tuesday, Dec. 6, Spoon 100 percent Brett Pale Ale, a 4.6 percent ABV brettanomyces-fermented pale ale brewed with a 60/40 blend of Maris Otter barley and oats and hopped with Calypso, Amarillo and Crystal will be tapped. Then on Thursday, Dec. 8, Magpie on the Gallows Saison will be available on draft. This 6 percent ABV seasonal saison, brewed with pilsner, flaked wheat, white wheat and honey malt, was hopped with Citra and fermented on cranberry puree, orange peel, clove and juniper berries using Burial’s house clean saison strain. Finally, on Friday, Dec. 9, Shadowclock Pilsner will be pouring alongside its packaged release.
- On Wednesday, Dec. 7, all Thirsty Monk locations will tap kegs of the brewery’s Must Love Coconut IPA, a Belgian-style IPA brewed with 100 pounds of toasted coconut and hopped with Citra, Centennial and Amarillo.
- Thirsty Monk‘s December session of Monk Beer Academy will take place on Tuesday, Dec. 6, at 7 p.m. The 45-minute guided tasting will focus on winter warmers and will be lead, as always, by Thirsty Monk Draft Quality Manager and Certified Cicerone Jeremiah Tracy. Reservations can be made here.
- Habitat Tavern and Commons will host Pints with Professors on Tuesday, Dec. 6, from 7-8:30 p.m. This series of free lectures will feature a different UNC Asheville professor each month, followed by a Q-and-A session with the professor and other special guests. This month’s professor is Susan Clark Muntean, Ph.D., from the UNCA School of Management. Muntean will be joined by Steve White from the Small Business Administration, Patrick Fitzsimmons from Mountain BizWorks and Josh Dorfman from Venture Asheville.
- All Thirsty Monk locations will host a Winter Brew Night on Thursday, Dec. 8. Featured beers include, but are not limited to, Imperial Cold Mountain, Bourbon County Brand Stout, The Bruery 9 Ladies Dancing, Founders Backwoods Bastard, Delirium Noël 2015 Vintage and Cascade Elderberry.
- **NEW** Bruisin’Ales free weekly tasting will feature the kickoff of Green Man’s new seasonal IPA Trickster. Also pouring will be Forester Stout and The Weisser Berliner Weisse with blood orange and cranberries.
- Whistle Hop Brewing in Fairview will celebrate its grand opening on Friday, Dec. 9, from 4-10 p.m. Proceeds from pours of Full Moon Dunkelweizen will benefit the Full Moon Farm Wolfdog Sanctuary.
- Sweeten Creek Brewing will celebrate its first anniversary on
Friday, Dec. 9Saturday, Dec. 10 from 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Further details will be announced here.
- Hickory Nut Gap Farm and Wicked Weed present a Wild Ale Dinner on Dec. 10 starting at 6:30 p.m. The evening will feature seven different wild ales paired with seven courses of seasonally inspired cuisine. Tickets, available for $93 plus tax here, are extremely limited.
- On Saturday, Dec. 10, from 6-11 p.m. Burial and New York-based Other Half Brewing will host the Velvet Magnum Christmas Party. The draft release of two Burial and Other Half collaborations, Velvet Magnum Stout and Selleck Approved Barrel-Aged Sour will be tapped alongside Crush it Mosaic IPA, Broccoli DIPA, Fully Frothed DIPA, Blowing Up The Spot Triple IPA, Double Mosaic Dream DIPA, Always Bet On Green DIPA, Forever Ever IPA and Stacks On Stacks DIPA. Christmas cards with Selleck and Sloth will be available, a Selleck Claus Costume Competition (judging at 8 p.m.) will earn the winner a Burial gift card and a snow machine will be on-site. Crushed-velvet attire encouraged.