There are only two more weeks left to donate to the GiveLocal campaign! So far there have been over 230 donations made, with an average donation of $80. The largest donation so far has been for $1,020. Thanks to all those who have donated so far — your incentives will be arriving in January!
The Give!Local campaign provides a fun, fast and easy way to give online from $10 to the $1,000’s. Donors can give to as many of the 30 participating nonprofits as they like and pay with one easy credit card transaction. Plus, there are incentives to encourage donations from new givers, people who don’t get tax breaks, and a whole new generation of givers — children!
Children 12 or under who give at least $5 (with their parents permission of course) get a kiddie scoop from The Hop and are entered to win one of some special kid-oriented prizes like a kids bike from Motion Makers, horse riding lessons from the Equinox Horse Foundation, or a six-month Book-of-the-Month membership from Spellbound Children’s Books.
Want to find out more? Visit givelocalguide.org
Asheville Humane Society
14 Forever Friend Lane, 761-2001, ashevillehumane.org
• TU (12/22), 10am – “Urban Tails Guided Outing,” volunteer to take an adoptable dog out. Reservations required: email@example.com. Free.
100 Frederick Law Olmsted Way, 665-2492, ncarboretum.org. Regular parking fees apply.
• Through SA (1/3) – The Robot Zoo, exhibit featuring giant-size robots and interactive displays to teach biomechanics of animals.
• Through (1/3) – Fine-feathered Friends and Flowers, oil paintings by Mary Webster.
The Center for Craft, Creativity & Design
67 Broadway, 785-1357, craftcreativitydesign.org
• Through SA (1/9) – Made in WNC, textile, furniture, ceramics, and art exhibit exploring how craft, design, and production relate.
• Through SA (1/9) – Tom Shields sculptural arrangements from found furniture.
AUDITIONS & CALL TO ARTISTS
The Magnetic Theatre
• Through SU (2/7) – One act play submissions accepted for the Brief Encounters 2016 series. See website for guidelines. Free.
Provides services to victims of domestic violence and their families in Buncombe County. Info: 254-2968.
• Through TH (12/31) – Proceeds from Christmas tree ornament sales benefit Helpmate. Free to attend. Held at Ben’s Tune-Up, 195 Hilliard Ave.
N.C. Arboretum Winter Lights
• Through SA (1/2), 6-10pm – Proceeds from this walking tour of the holiday animated light display benefit N.C. Arboretum programs, exhibits, and facilities year-round. $18/$16 children. Held at N.C. Arboretum, 100 Frederick Law Olmsted Way
CLASSES, MEETINGS & EVENTS
Your Voice, Your Future Town Hall Meeting
• TH (12/17), 7:30pm – Panel discussion regarding domestic and sexual violence in WNC. Panelists include a domestic abuse survivor, Helpmate, Mainstay and the District Attorney’s office. Free. Held at WNC Agricultural Center, 1301 Fanning Bridge Road
• WE (12/16), 10am-4pm – Paddle-n-Plant along local riverbanks to prevent erosion with French Broad Riverkeeper. Registration required. Free.
FARM & GARDEN
Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy
• TH (12/17), 10am-noon – “Cattle Talk: Handling & Infrastructure workshop,” for those interested in learning more about cattle. Registration required:
ORGANIC GROWERS SCHOOL 23rd ANNUAL SPRING CONFERENCE
• (pd.) March 11-13, 2016, UNC Asheville. 70+ sessions per day: practical, affordable, regionally-focused workshops on growing, permaculture, homesteading, and urban farming. Trade show, seed exchange, kid’s program.
FOOD & BEER
The Lord’s Acre
• THURSDAYS, 11:30am – The Fairview Welcome Table provides a community lunch. Free. Held at Fairview Christian Fellowship, 596 Old Us Highway 74, Fairview
• SU (12/20), 7-9pm – Winter Solstice 1/4 mile dark hike in DuPont State Forest. Registration required. Free.
44 Merrimon Ave. Suite 1, 28801, 252-0562, ourvoicenc.org
• Ongoing drop-in group for female identified survivors of sexual violence.
Montford Park Players
254-5146, montfordparkplayers.org. Held at Asheville Masonic Temple, 80 Broadway
• FRIDAYS through SUNDAYS (12/11) until (12/20) – A Christmas Carol. Fri. & Sat.: 7:30pm. Sun.: 2:30pm. $10
• MO (12/21) through WE (12/23), 7:30pm – A Christmas Carol. $10.
The Magnetic Theatre
375 Depot St., 279-4155, themagnetictheatre.org
• WE (12/16), 7:30pm – The 42nd Annual Bernstein Family Christmas Spectacular! $18-$23.
• THURSDAYS through SATURDAYS (12/3) through (12/19) – The 42nd Annual Bernstein Family Christmas Spectacular! Thur.-Sat.: 7:30pm. Sat.: 10pm. $18-$23.
Care Partners Foundation
• Through TH (12/24) – Volunteers needed for gift wrap station at Asheville Outlets. Registration required.
Homeward Bound WNC
218 Patton Ave., 258-1695, homewardboundwnc.org
• 3rd THURSDAYS, 11am – “Welcome Home Tour,” tours of Asheville organizations that serve the homeless population. Registration required. Free to attend.
Loving Food Resources
• FR (12/18), 6pm – “Holiday Cookie Party,” volunteers bring 4 dozen homemade cookies to fill 200 boxes for LFR clients. May also be dropped off at ACE Hardware North. Held at Kenilworth Presbyterian Church, 123 Kenilworth Road
100 Frederick Law Olmsted Way, 665-2492, ncarboretum.org
• Through SA (1/2) – Hundreds of volunteers needed for the Winter Lights exhibit until SA (1/2) from 5:30-10pm nightly. Register online: ncwinterlights.org