- The forum takes place at the YMI Cultural Center on Tuesday, Feb. 21.Dr. Bacon took some time to develop its sound. Talbott says that the original group knew what it liked: “It was kind of alt-rock,” he says. “But when we started…Hopefully stand-up comedian Hari Kondabolu’s in-the-works joke about the Statue of Liberty being deported will be ready in time for his show at Diana Wortham Theatre on Saturday, Feb. 18.…They'll perform at Lipinsky Auditorium on Wednesday, Feb. 22, at 7 p.m. $15/$10 alumni. A master class with The 1491’s takes place on Thursday, Feb. 23, at noon in the…The film festival focuses on independent features and short documentaries, dramas and animated works from emerging artists.The show, featuring more than 20 acts and benefiting local nonprofit Bounty & Soul, takes place at UpCountry Brewing Co. on Friday, Feb. 17.Shoegaze groups Knives and Daggers and VIA will open the record release show on Friday, Feb. 17.The New Orleans-based collective will perform at Isis Music Hall on Friday, Feb. 17In addition to offering a chance to party among bike enthusiasts, Bike Love highlights the 2016 accomplishments of local nonprofit Asheville on Bikes and enumerates goals for 2017. Salvage Station…
- A panel of local judges evaluated 30 honeys from around the globe to determine the 2017 Black Jar champion.Get your crockpots ready — Noble Cider's second Chili Cookoff is here. Also, Mountain Cooking Club holds a class at Folkmoot, MG Road rolls out some new weekly happenings and…New beers and events are on the schedule this month at Asheville breweries.
- Regular checkups for your pets can prevent many diseases and ensure that you have a healthy companion.
- Actress Charlotte Abell represents Asheville at Seattle's Filmapalooza, Mechanical Eye reschedules its screenwriting workshop with Arpita Kumar and more.
- AshevilleFrom the Ani Katuah to white settlers and tobacco farmers, barns and buildings have played a central role in defining the culture of the Southern Appalachians. Shelter on the Mountain:…Todd Stebbing was a 22-year-old heroin addict when he enrolled in Red Oak Recovery’s program on Sept. 14, 2014. The primary treatment facility in Leicester serves men ages 18-30 who…
- "Have we come a long way, baby? Mature women rightly honor their foremothers in the women’s movement by continuing to march, organize, write and act.""I saw very few of the 'profanity-laden' signs that Carl highlighted. The signs were one of the best parts of the day. The vast majority were humorous or meaningful, or…"I think the book is written to expose the bad guy in all of us. My goal was to show that each one of us has a little worm in…"We need all progressives in Buncombe County who want to see what it’s like to have candidates who speak for and work for and fight for us to join. If…"Too, these 'liberated' women are not safe from the indignity of 'pussy-grabbing' by men who feel entitled to give themselves some real live sexy fun at women's expense. The marchers…