If you haven’t yet made it out to a Blue Ridge Rollergirls match, 2014 might be your year. With a team of no-nonsense female athletes and a strong lineup of high-energy, full-contact battles in the coming months, Asheville’s first all-female, flat track roller derby league offers a fierce alternative to your typical Saturday night plans.
The home season begins at the U.S. Cellular Center in downtown Asheville on Feb. 15. Find out more at uscellularcenterasheville.com.
Full schedule from the Blue Ridge Roller Girls:
• Feb. 15: French Broads vs. Little City (Home), All Stars vs. Gold Coast (Home)
• March 15: French Broads vs. Low Country (Home), All Stars vs. Low Country (Home)
• March 29: French Broads vs. Richland County (Columbia, SC)
• Apr. 12-13: Skate to Thrill Tournament (St. Louis, MO)
• Apr. 26: French Broads vs. Greensboro (Greensboro, NC)
• May 2-4: Beach Brawl Tournament (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
• May 31: French Broads vs. Ithaca (Home), All Stars vs. Ithaca (Home)
• June 7: All Stars vs. Duke City (in Columbia, SC)
• June 29: French Broads vs. Kannapolis (Kannapolis, NC)
• Aug. 2: French Broads vs. Demolition City (Home), All Stars vs. Demolition City (Home)
• Oct. 11: French Broads vs. Palmetto State (Home), All Stars vs. Dutchland (Home)
• August/September: WFTDA Division Playoffs
• November: WFTDA Championship (Nashville, TN)
All home bouts will take place at the U.S. Cellular Center in downtown Asheville. On bout Saturdays, the French Broads will storm the track at 6 p.m., while the All Stars will fight for the win at 8 p.m.
The Blue Ridge Rollergirls are a 501c(3) nonprofit organization that donates a portion of each bout to a local charity. The league has “rolled local” in Asheville since 2006. Anyone interested in joining the league as a new skater, ref, or sponsor can find more information at blueridgerollergirls.com.