Press release from City of Asheville:
The City of Asheville offices will be closed in observance of Memorial Day, May 29, a federally designated holiday that honors military personnel who have died in the performance of their military duties while serving in the United States Armed Forces.The City of Asheville, Buncombe County, and the Veterans Council will host a Memorial Day ceremony on Monday at 2:00 p.m. at the Roger McGuire Green in Pack Square Park.Here is a roundup of City services affected by this holiday.Parks & Recreation:
- City parks and greenways will be open on a regular schedule 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Community centers and administrative offices will be closed on Memorial Day.
- Riverside Cemetery offices will be closed, though the cemetery will be open until 8:00 p.m.
- Pools in Malvern Hills Park and Recreation Park are open 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Admission is $3 per person.
- Splasheville, the free splash fountain in Pack Square Park, is open but will close during the Memorial Day ceremony (see above).
- Festivals including Shiloh Fun Day and GrindFest take place in city parks throughout the weekend before Memorial Day. Check out Asheville Parks & Recreation’s program guide to search events and activities.
- The Harrah’s Cherokee Center – Asheville will be closed in observance of Memorial Day.
- The box office will be open Tuesday – Friday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Tickets and information for all upcoming events are available at www.harrahscherokeecenterasheville.com
- Aston Park Tennis Center – normal hours Memorial Day 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- WNC Nature Center – normal hours 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- tickets available at the gate or at www.wildwnc.org
- Municipal Golf Course – normal hours 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- tee times are available at the clubhouse or in advance at www.ashevillegc.com
ART Bus Services:
ART buses will operate on a holiday schedule. For more information about riding the bus, please download the Transit app, visit the City’s Transit Maps & Schedules webpage, or stop by the ART Transit Center, 49 Coxe Avenue.
Sanitation Services:Sanitation will be closed. No trash, recycling, or brush collection will happen on Memorial Day, May 29. Sanitation collections will operate Tuesday through Friday.The collection day for all customers — except those in the Central Business District — will be one day later than normal this week. The Central Business District will be serviced on its regular Wednesday morning schedule.
The Parking Services customer service office will be closed on Monday, May 29. The office will resume normal business hours on Tuesday, May 30.
Public Safety and Water Resources:All public safety services, including police, fire, and emergency response, will operate on a regular schedule – 24 hours a day, seven days a week.Water Resources staff will be available for water-related emergencies 24 hours a day over the holiday weekend.Customers can call the customer service line at 828-251-1122 to report water-related emergencies, leaks, breaks, and no water calls.Find a copy of this press release on the City News website
Before you comment
The comments section is here to provide a platform for civil dialogue on the issues we face together as a local community. Xpress is committed to offering this platform for all voices, but when the tone of the discussion gets nasty or strays off topic, we believe many people choose not to participate. Xpress editors are determined to moderate comments to ensure a constructive interchange is maintained. All comments judged not to be in keeping with the spirit of civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned. See here for our terms of service. Thank you for being part of this effort to promote respectful discussion.