Press release from Buncombe County:
If you’ve been struggling to complete a septic system repair at your home, Buncombe County may be able to help provide grant funding. The Septic Repair Assistance Program (SRP) launched in November of 2022, and Permits & Inspections is still accepting applications through Friday, Jan. 20 to determine if homeowners may qualify. The SRP provides financial assistance to repair failing septic systems of qualifying homeowners who do not meet theincome limit of 80% of Buncombe County Area Median Income($64,250 for a family of four). There is limited time to apply, and if you think you may qualify, please call 250-5360.
To apply for financial assistance, you must:
- Be a resident of Buncombe County and own and occupy your home.
- Obtain a septic system repair permit from Buncombe County Environmental Health. To request a repair permit, you must submit an application to Environmental Health. Once the application is received, an Environmental Health Specialist will make a site visit and evaluate the existing system, determine repair options, and issue a repair permit.
- Obtain bids from at least three septic system contractors. Once the repair permit has been issued, you are responsible for obtaining bids from at least three contractors. A bid is an estimate of how much the repair will cost. We recommend that you request bids from more than three contractors to ensure that you receive at least three of the bids in a timely manner.
- Complete a Grant Application form. This form requests specific information needed to determine grant eligibility, including verification of income.
- Submit the Grant Application and copies of three contractor bids to Buncombe County Permits & Inspections, 30 Valley St., Asheville, NC 28801 or email@example.com
Applications will be accepted through January 20, 2023. Funding is limited.
Before you comment
The comments section is here to provide a platform for civil dialogue on the issues we face together as a local community. Xpress is committed to offering this platform for all voices, but when the tone of the discussion gets nasty or strays off topic, we believe many people choose not to participate. Xpress editors are determined to moderate comments to ensure a constructive interchange is maintained. All comments judged not to be in keeping with the spirit of civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned. See here for our terms of service. Thank you for being part of this effort to promote respectful discussion.