Press release from Pisgah Legal Services:
A press conference at Pisgah Legal Services on November 1st will kick-off the 6th Open Enrollment for Affordable Care Act (ACA) Health Insurance, also known as “Obamacare.”
WHO – Speakers include:
- Sonya Greck, MSN, RN, Mission Health Senior Vice President, Patient Safety Net Services and Behavioral Health
- Jaclyn Kiger, JD, Managing Attorney for Pisgah Legal Services who oversees the work done by Pisgah Legal’s Certified Application Counselors to help people enroll for free.
- Vijay Kapoor, Asheville City Council Member, ACA Consumer
- Consumers will also be on-hand to speak about their personal stories and why affordable health insurance is so important in their lives.
WHEN AND WHERE
- Pisgah Legal Services’ Asheville Office, 62 Charlotte Street
10am – 11am on Thursday, Nov. 1, 2018
Although most people need health insurance, many do not know how to shop for and compare health insurance options. Confusion exists among consumers about the ACA, and whether the law is even still in existence. Pisgah Legal Services (PLS), a local nonprofit, and other Enrollment Partners of WNC participating organizations, give local residents free, unbiased health insurance information and enrollment assistance in the NC Health Insurance Marketplace.
For 40 years, Pisgah Legal has provided free civil legal aid to help low-income people meet their basic needs, such as protection from domestic violence, avoiding homelessness, and accessing health care and subsistence income. PLS has 22 attorneys on staff and relies heavily on the pro bono legal services of 300+ volunteer attorneys. PLS’ main service area includes six WNC counties, with offices in Asheville, Brevard, Hendersonville, Marshall and Rutherfordton. Last year PLS served more than 15,500 people.