Yesterday, according to a press release from the Asheville Fire Department, they responded to a sprinkler head activation at Evergreen Community Charter School just after 8:00 p.m. An exhaust fan for an indoor kiln failed causing heat build up and the sprinkler to activate. The sprinkler system was successful in cooling the kiln and preventing a fire. Department public information officer, Kelley Klope credits the building’s sprinkler system with preventing “heat build up that could have ignited nearby combustibles and the overhead ceiling which in turn could have led to a structure fire.”
The school’s art room suffered minor heat damage to some overhead lighting and minor water damage. However, said the press release, it is a fact that a sprinkler system uses a lot less water to suppress an early onset fire than a fire department does arriving on a scene minutes later. The National Fire Protection Association reports that if a home fire occurs, the risk of dying decreases by about 80% when the home is equipped with a fire sprinkler system.