Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
Bottle and can releases
- **NEW** Hi-Wire Brewing releases Hazy Juicy Hoppy Fresh (7.5 percent ABV) on Thursday, Aug. 16, at 4 p.m. at both of its taprooms. The hazy IPA is double dry-hopped with Azacca, Mosaic and Amarillo. Four-packs of 16-ounce cans will be available for $15 and will see limited distribution.
- Highland Brewing Co. releases Truth Decay (7.2 percent ABV) on Friday, Aug. 17. The New England IPA is dry-hopped with Denali, Citra and Simcoe lupulin powder and will be available on tap and in six-packs of 12-ounce cans featuring illustrations by local artist Maxx Feist. The cans will be available exclusively at the brewery.
- Burial Beer Co. has a triple release on Friday, Aug. 17. The Deafening Song of Silence IPA (6.6 percent ABV), double dry-hopped with Simcoe, Citra and Cascade, will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $16; Revival of the Forgotten Saison with Brett (7 percent ABV), a collaboration with Blackberry Farm Brewery, made with Epiphany Craft Malt Barley and Triticale and hopped with Meridian, Citra and Huell Melon, will be available in 500 milliliter bottles for $9; and Resurrection of Riches American Pale Ale (5.2 percent ABV), a collaboration with Oceanside, NY’s Barrier Brewing Co., dry-hopped with Mosaic, El Dorado, Huell Melon and Nugget, will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $13.
- On Saturday, Aug. 18, Sweeten Creek Brewing releases Happy Camper American Maerzen Lager in six-packs of 12-ounce cans and on draft.
Small-batch beers and ciders
- Sweeten Creek is currently pouring The Night King Black Pilsner.
- In addition to its packaged releases also being on draft, Burial has two new offerings this week. Slaughtered Fates Barrel-Aged Dark Sour Ale (9 percent ABV) — a blend of 33 percent bourbon barrel-aged Danish imperial porter, 33 percent golden sour ales aged one to two years and 33 percent dark sour ale aged with blueberries — was tapped Monday, Aug. 13. It will be joined Wednesday, Aug. 15, by Otherworldly Entities Rustic Saison Ale (5.7 percent ABV), spiced with Mandarina Bavaria hops, peppercorns, lemon peel, ginger and chamomile.
- On Thursday, Aug. 16, Catawba Brewing Co. taps a Dampfbier (5.6 percent ABV) at all four of its tasting rooms. The rarely seen German-style ale is an all-barley brew of Bavarian malts fermented with a Weizen yeast strain and brewed at lower temperatures in line with an American steam beer.
- Thirsty Monk‘s next Monk Beer Academy takes place Tuesday, Aug. 14, at 7 p.m., at its Biltmore Park location and will focus on Hoppy Beer and Food Flight Pairings. Draft Quality Manager Jeremiah Tracy will lead participants through the brewpub’s new Hoppy Food flight of snack-sized bites, pairing it with hoppy beers to explore how flavors are influenced. Tickets to this limited-seating event are $15, available online and include food and beer.
- On Thursday, Aug. 16, Thirsty Monk Biltmore Park hosts Cider Celebration, featuring a curated selection of ciders from Western North Carolina and elsewhere.
- The Whale hosts a Miami in the 90’s party on Thursday, Aug. 16, 6-10 p.m., featuring beers from such Florida breweries as J. Wakefield Brewing, Red Cypress Brewery, Green Bench Brewing Co. and Asheville’s Zillicoah Beer Co., which has its roots in Miami.
- In conjunction with the release of their aforementioned collaborative beer, Burial hosts Blackberry Farm for the next Off-Topic event on Friday, Aug. 17, at 6 p.m. Tickets are $10 at the door and include a branded glass to keep, access to the talk and shared beers from Blackberry Farm. Tickets will be available starting at 5:30 p.m.
- Sanctuary Brewing Co. celebrates its third anniversary on Sunday, Aug. 19, with numerous beer releases. Offerings include Barrel Aged Brewspiracy (10 percent ABV), a Belgian-style tripel aged in Dickel Tennessee whiskey barrels; Orange & Vanilla Haze Sour IPA; Pineapple Express (6.7 percent ABV), a hazy IPA hopped with Mosaic, Zythod and El Dorado and finished with pineapple and Madagascar vanilla beans; and Melon Blonde (6 percent ABV), a blonde ale featuring 1.5 pounds of fresh local sugar-baby watermelon and honeydew per gallon. A habanero version of Melon Blonde will also be available.