Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
Bottle and can releases
- As part of its Second Anniversary Party on Saturday, Dec. 15, UpCountry Brewing Co. releases bottles of Tripel Lindy, its wine barrel-aged Belgian-style tripel.
- On Saturday, Dec. 15, Archetype Brewing Co. has a dual bottle release of beers aged in French oak red wine barrels. Liber Novus Belgian-style Red Ale, aged for 14 months, will be available in 375-milliliter bottles for $10, and Devil’s Nest Belgian-style Tripel, aged eight months, will be available in 375-milliliter bottles for $9.
- Burial Beer Co. has a dual can and single bottle release at noon Saturday, Dec. 15. Land of Eternity Rolling Plains Lager (8 percent ABV), a collaboration with Austin-based Jester King Brewery, will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $16. Inhabited by Ghosts DIPA (8.5 percent ABV), double dry-hopped with Strata, Mosaic and Azacca, will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $18. Beneath Cascading Tides Golden Sour Ale (10 percent ABV), a collaboration with Portland, Ore.’s Cascade Brewing Co., aged in French oak chardonnay barrels for 10 months with Burial’s house culture, then rested on dried peach noyaux and bottle conditioned with apricot juice, will be available in 500-milliliter bottles for $12.
Small-batch beers and ciders
- **NEW** Highland Brewing Co. unveils Graceful Strength (14.8 percent ABV), a Belgian-style tripel aged in red wine barrels, on Tuesday, Dec. 11.
- UpCountry taps a fresh batch of What’s the Dill? Dill Pickle Gose (4.5 percent ABV) on Wednesday, Dec. 12. The beer takes the brewery’s house gose recipe and infuses it with over 4 pounds per barrel of fresh cucumbers, pickling spices and aromatic dill.
- **NEW** Oskar Blues Brewery releases No Place Like Home Saison, made with locally foraged ingredients, on Wednesday, Dec. 12, and Concept IPA (7.2 percent ABV) on Thursday, Dec. 13.
- In addition to its packaged releases also being available on tap the day of their release, Burial has seven new draft releases this week. Oblique Passages to Nowhere Berliner Weisse Ale with Blueberry, Raspberry and Rose (4 percent ABV) and Lurking in the Moonshadow Smoked Porter (6 percent ABV), roll out Thursday, Dec. 13. Then for the brewery’s yearly Velvet Magnum Xmas Party on Saturday, Dec. 15, taproom exclusives will be Ferraris and Floral Fabrics Bourbon Barrel-Aged Red Sour Ale with Pineapple & Coconut (6 percent ABV); Griddlecakes Imperial Espresso Stout with Maple, Vanilla, Cinnamon and Coffee (10 percent ABV); Mustache with a Gun Macaroon Barrel-Aged Black Sour Ale with Cocoa Nibs & Coconut (6.8 percent ABV); The Carnage We Left Behind Golden Sour Ale with Cantaloupe (10 percent ABV); and The Plaguekiller Brett IPA with Pineapple, Orange Juice, Coconut and Nutmeg (6.8 percent ABV).
- Catawba Brewing Co. taps a Winter Warmer on Thursday, Dec. 13, at all of its locations.
- As part of its third anniversary festivities on Saturday, Dec. 15, Sweeten Creek Brewing Co. releases Scootie’s Spiced Stout.
- **NEW** On Monday, Dec. 17, Whistle Hop Brewing Co. taps Maple Smoked Sweet Potato Amber Ale (6 percent ABV). The beer was made by smoking 30 pounds of North Carolina sweet potatoes per barrel over maple wood harvested from the brewery’s property, then finished with pure maple syrup.
- Appalachian Vintner hosts a Ginger Triple Threat event on Tuesday, Dec. 11, 6-8 p.m. Free samples of ginger-infused beverages from Asheville Brewing Co. (Ninjabread Man Porter), Botanist & Barrel and Devil’s Foot Beverage Co. (GingerBerry, both nonalcoholic and sour cider versions) will be poured.
- Along with the aforementioned Burial releases for its Velvet Magnum Xmas Party on Saturday, Dec. 15, evening co-host Other Half Brewing Co. from Brooklyn will have 10 of its beers on draft. This year’s Velvet Magnum collaboration bottle will also be released. Check the event’s Facebook page for details as they’re added.