Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
Bottle and can releases
- Zebulon Artisan Ales has released Original IPA circa 1850 (for Alexandra David-Neel) (8% ABV). The historical recreation of IPA as it tasted in India back when England sent extra hoppy pale ale to its colonists was aged for a full year in oak barrels with Brettanomyces, then dry-hopped with East Kent Golding. The beer is available in 500 milliliter bottles for $9 each and on draft.
- Burial Beer Co. releases Tonin’ the Barbarian IPA, double dry-hopped with Mosaic, Simcoe, Mandarina, Sabro, HBC 472 and Mosaic Cryo, on Friday, Feb. 28. It will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans and on draft.
Small-batch beers and ciders
- Archetype Brewing is currently pouring Lunar Effect Hazy IPA at both of its taprooms.
- **NEW** Catawba Brewing Co. is currently pouring Spiced Belgian Dubbel (7.6% ABV), brewed with fresh star anise, at all four of its taprooms.
- The second yearly Brew Horizons Beer Festival takes place Saturday, Feb. 29, 2-6 p.m. Look for Tony Kiss’ preview of the event later this week.
- Eurisko Beer Co.‘s 2nd Twin Peaks Day celebration takes place Saturday, Feb. 29, 11:30 a.m.-midnight. Special house beers brewed for the occasion include Helloooooooo!!! (5% ABV), a Helles lager, featuring additions of Yemeni coffee; Pennycup Coffee Porter (7% ABV), the brewery’s house porter featuring additions of Sumatran Jambi coffee; Good Night, Margaret (4.6% ABV), a session oatmeal stout with lactose; Freshly Squeezed (4.5% ABV), a German-style pilsner with cherry; and Through the Darkness (12.3% ABV), an imperial stout featuring additions of Yemeni coffee and vanilla. Guest beers on tap include Yukon Sucker Punch (7.2% ABV), a hazy IPA with cherry and vanilla, brewed in collaboration with The Whale; Zebulon‘s Me and the Devil #3 (10.1% ABV), an imperial milk stout with cacao nibs, and Petite Cerize (5.2% ABV), a wild ale aged on second-use cherries and Montmorency cherry juice; Zillocoah Beer Co.‘s Blossom (5.2% ABV), a foudre-aged ale, aged on 3,200 pounds of Montmorency cherries; and DSSOLVR‘s The Water and the Well (3.8% ABV), a dark kölsch featuring additions of coffee.