Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
- Hi-Wire Brewing has released the third in its series of seasonal lagers, Enchanter Baltic Porter, on draft and in 12-ounce bottles. This 8.5 percent ABV porter was lagered for eight weeks on American white oak spirals. Enchanter joins the new Death Defying Spring Ale, a 6 percent ABV Belgian ale liberally hopped with Styrian Golding, also available on draft and in 12-ounce bottles.
- On Friday, Jan. 15, Hi-Wire Brewing will release the third edition of its Hop Circus series in bombers and on draft at its taprooms. Hop Circus Volume 3: Passion Fruit White IPA is a 9 percent ABV IPA brewed with passion fruit, coriander and orange peel, and will be available at specialty retailers the following week.
- Fresh off its Puzzle Pieces sour ale collaboration with Wicked Weed Brewing, Appalachian Vintner teams with Olde Hickory Brewery for a brandy barrel-aged version of the latter’s Irish Walker English-style barleywine. The resulting Appalachian Walker (10 percent ABV) will be released on Friday, Jan. 15, at 5:30 p.m. in 22-ounce bottles. (Check back for draft information as it becomes available.) Proceeds benefit Appalachian Vintner’s Puzzle Pieces Project, which benefits autism research and gives support to those affected.
- Oyster House Brewing Co. is currently pouring a cask of Islay Scotch barrel-aged Watch Stone Scotch Ale.
- French Broad Brewing Co.‘s Twitter and Facebook accounts report that its Flanders Style Abbey Ale is available in bars around town.
- On Tuesday, Jan. 12, Burial Beer Co. releases Ladle Horchata Beer a low gravity (3.5 percent ABV) milk brown ale made with milk sugar, toasted rice, cinnamon and vanilla beans. The following day, Hawkbill Session Ale will be tapped. The 5 percent ABV brew is made with a pils base and flaked oats, wheat and barley, along with a touch of New Zealand Rakau, a hefty dose of Nelson Sauvin and a special house yeast.
- Sanctuary Brewing Co. debuts its Raspberry Saison on Wednesday, Jan. 13.
- On Friday, Jan. 15, Highland Brewing Co. taps Dry Hopped Pils (5.78 percent ABV) and Ice Cold Brewski (an easy-drinking Pilsner that also clocks in at 5.78 percent ABV).
- Boojum Brewing Co. is currently pouring Experimental IPA 2, a double dry hopped concoction with tropical fruit, pine and citrus flavor.
- Lookout Brewing Co. unveils Salty Dog, a grapefruit-infused wild fermented beer, served in a salt rimmed glass, on Friday, Jan. 15 at 2 p.m.
- Sweeten Creek Brewing debuts an IPA on Saturday, Jan. 16.
- On Thursday, Jan. 14, at 4 p.m., Thirsty Monk hosts a Rodenbach event at its downtown bar. Foederbier, Vintage 2013 and Caractère Rouge will be on tap.
- Bruisin’ Ales‘ weekly free Thursday tasting features offerings from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. From 5-7 p.m., samples of Otra Vez Gose, Beer Camp Tropical IPA, Ovila Abbey Golden with Pomegranates, Bigfoot Barleywine and Barrel Aged Narwhal Imperial Stout will be poured.
- Burial Beer Co. hosts a party to commemorate its Moon Series beers starting Friday, Jan. 15, at 2 p.m. and running until Sunday, Jan. 18, at 8 p.m. Kegs of several Moon Series beers will be tapped, and a silent auction will be held with all proceeds benefitting the Triangle Native American Society. This auction will last the weekend and will offer people the chance to get a gift card to exchange for a full case of the Moon Series (one of each beer) as well as original Moon Series artwork from illustrator David Paul Seymour and other Moon Series-related items.
- Wicked Weed Brewing will release Seven Summits, a special collaboration with Devil’s Backbone Brewing Co. as part of the latter brewery’s Adventure Pack. Seven Summits is an imperial stout brewed with ingredients inspired by the highest mountains of each of the seven continents, including coconut, cocoa, blue-green algae, American oak, pink Himalayan salt, black rye bread and wattle seeds. The Adventure Pack is a 12-pack of 12-ounce bottles featuring a series of collaborations between Devil’s Backbone and notable craft breweries including NoDa Brewing Co., Surly Brewing Co., Sun King Brewery and Thunder Road Brewing. Seven Summits will be available on draft at the Funkatorium on Monday, Jan. 18, following an invite-only release, and the Adventure Pack will be available at specialty retailers shortly thereafter.
New breweries and bars
- Bhramari Brewhouse opens Friday, Jan. 15 at 3 p.m. Beer selections TBA.