Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
- A new round of 16 ounce Skillet Donut Stout (8 percent ABV) cans will be available at Burial Beer Co. on Tuesday, Jan. 5, at 4 p.m.
- Lookout Brewing Co. recently got a crowler machine and is now offering 32-ounce crowlers for $6 or $8, depending on the beer. The 9.2 percent ABV Hoppy New Beer is also available to go in that quantity for $12.
- Along with its can release, Skillet Donut Stout will also be on draft at Burial Beer Co. starting Tuesday, Jan. 5. The following day brings a new batch of Surf Wax IPA (6.8 percent ABV), made not with the usual Nelson Sauvin hops but with a new group of aromatics – showcasing El Dorado, Citra and Amarillo hops – in anticipation of canning a dry west coast-style IPA.
- As of Tuesday, Jan. 5, Mills River Brewery has two of its beers on draft: Mullinax Stout and Middle Fork IPA.
- Sanctuary Brewing Co. taps Hendo Weisse on Wednesday, Jan. 6, at 4 p.m. The 3.5 percent ABV Berliner weisse joins the 7.5 percent ABV Weekend Joe Coffee Stout and will be joined by the Rye So Serious Rye IPA on Saturday, Jan. 9.
- OysterHouse Brewing Co. has
a bourbon barrel aged version of its Supermoon Imperial Stout on casktapped a cask of its Watch Stone Scotch Ale that was oak soaked in Lagavulin Scotch and aged for 6 months. The brewery also has a cask of its Bob’s Yer Uncle ESB.
- As of Wednesday, Jan. 6, Hi-Wire Brewing is pouring a Traditional Bock that’s ruby red in color and has notes of dark fruit and sweet baked bread.
- Also as of Wednesday, Jan. 6, Lexington Avenue Brewery is pouring Thumper Belgian Tripel, which was cellared on French Oak.
- As of Thursday, Jan. 7, Green Man Brewery is pouring Old Smokey, an altbier with a touch of smoke from Cherrywood smoked malt. Its Skywalker Pale Ale, dry hopped with Delta and Equinox hops, debuts Friday, Jan. 8.
- On Friday, Jan. 8, Thirsty Monk releases its new Woodfin IPA at its Woodfin location. The extremely sessionable brew has fresh notes of juicy peaches, tropical pineapple and passion fruit from late additions of Amarillo and Galaxy hops while a bright and clean bitter holds traces of a Belgian yeast, fermented at a lower temperature to hold back its fruity esters.
- Highland Brewing Co. debuts Bavarian Hop IPA on Friday, Jan. 8, in its taproom. The 5 percent ABV session IPA has notes of tropical fruit on the nose with hints of pear, melon, cantaloupe and sweet orange on the palette and finishes dry with a subtle bitter linger.
- Thirsty Monk‘s free monthly Monk Beer Academy continues with a class on IPAs Tuesday, Jan. 5, at 7 p.m. at its downtown bar. Certified cicerone and draft quality manager Jeremiah Tracy will lead the 45-minute informative guided tasting. Space is limited, so online registration is strongly recommended. The lone cost is a tasting flight (typically between $12 and $17).
- Homebrew Night takes place on Thursday, Jan. 7, from 4:30-7:30 p.m. at Hops & Vines. Homebrewers are invited to bring a few bottles of their labeled concoctions to share with others. The event is free.
- Brusin’ Ales is pouring free samples from Terrapin Beer Co. on Thursday, Jan. 7, from 5-7 p.m. Poivre Potion Dry Hopped Imperial Pink Peppercorn Saison, Hi-5 California Style IPA, Moo-Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout and both traditional and Cinnamon Rolled versions of Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout will be available.
- On Thursday, Jan. 7, at 5:30, the Skyland/South Buncombe library hosts a free presentation by certified cicerone and BREW-ed owner Cliff Mori, who will discuss the history of beer, how it’s made and the role Asheville fills in the ever growing craft industry. Special attention will be paid to the ingredients used to produce beer, why Asheville attracts so many breweries and the economic impact of beer on Western North Carolina. No beverages will be served.
- On Friday, Jan. 8, Hops & Vines hosts a tasting of new releases from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. that goes from 5-7 p.m. Samples of Otra Vez Gose-style Ale, Beer Camp Tropical IPA and Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale will be poured.